PDA

View Full Version : New stuff

powderpost
17th August 2017, 09:58 PM
Been a while off the lathe, but had a good day today. The first one is an "inside out" turning. First one for a very long time, didn't quite turnout the way I wanted, but still ok. It measures 150mm long and 45mm diameter with eight sections. Made from silver ash and left with no finish

The second job is a small black bean lidded box. It has a hand threaded lid and is 50mm high and 45 mm diameter. It was an exercise in hand chasing a thread on timber that is not one of the accepted species for threading. Thin super glue was very useful. Finished with glow.

Very satisfying days fun.

Jim

turnerted
18th August 2017, 05:52 PM
Nice ones Jim and a good job of lining up the grain on the box too . Sometimes I find it takes me as long to do that as to cut the thread .
Ted

smiife
18th August 2017, 06:51 PM
Hi jim , they both look good , not sure about that insideout stuff ! :C
The box looks good, what did you use on the top ?

powderpost
18th August 2017, 08:32 PM
Thanks Ted.

powderpost
18th August 2017, 08:34 PM
The box looks good, what did you use on the top ?

The pattern was done with a texturing tool and the insert is a piece of pearl shell.

Jim

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st August 2017, 01:03 PM
Serendipity!

While going thru my wood shelves the other day, I found a smallish block of black bean... and was pondering it's potential.

One of the eliminated considerations involved just such a lidded box, albeit of far squatter dimensions with fretwork instead of chatter/inlay. Eliminated, because I can't say I recall ever working Black Bean in the past and hand-threading... well, let's just say I have a handle on it but need a lot more practice. ;)

How does it take a thread? Crumbly grain or fibrous?

From the pix it looks like your chatterwork took nicely so I'm a bit surprised it's not considered one of the reliably threadable timbers.

As a matter of curiosity, what's not "as you hoped" about the inside-out bauble? Slightly larger cut-outs and slimmer spans between? (I ask, 'cos that's also where I have the most problems with these forms. :B)

powderpost
21st August 2017, 08:45 PM
One of the eliminated considerations involved just such a lidded box, How does it take a thread? Crumbly grain or fibrous?
From the pix it looks like your chatterwork took nicely so I'm a bit surprised it's not considered one of the reliably threadable timbers.

As a matter of curiosity, what's not "as you hoped" about the inside-out bauble? Slightly larger cut-outs and slimmer spans between? (I ask, 'cos that's also where I have the most problems with these forms. :B)

Hi Skew, been a long time. Black bean is an open pored timber and "crumbles" very well, not good for hand chased threading. It will most likely be ok for any of the machine threading applications. The first attempt failed because of the problem mentioned, but was succesful hand chasing with applications of thin super glue. That stopped the crumbling problem. Black bean is also very sneezy, wear a mask.
I was dissapointed with the bauble because I wanted a spherical shape, and the windows were too small. I didn't get the "cove" right at the first turning, mostly because I was over confident and didn't make suitable templates. Plus I didn't make the "cove" deep enough because I wimped out.
Hope this answers your questions and all makes sense for you.

Jim