PDA

View Full Version : Wanted (SA) Thicknesser

Polishufc
18th August 2017, 10:00 PM
looking for a thicknesser with cutters around 400mm or wider. Needs to be single phase. Either straight or spiral cutters.

KBs PensNmore
19th August 2017, 12:17 AM
Hi, I doubt that you'll find one that size in single phase.
If you're desperate for some timber to be done there is someone on Gumtree base at Clearview that'll do it up to 500 wide.
Machine runs at 16 or 20 feet per minute to work out roughly how much time you need, he charges $60 per hour.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/clearview/building-materials/thicknesser-for-hire-20-inch-cutter-bandsaw-400mm-throat/1046745695
Kryn

Polishufc
19th August 2017, 11:08 AM
Looking at purchasing one. To much of an inconvenience having to drive around. Have seen some in the past but wasn't in the market for one at the time. Thanks

KBs PensNmore
19th August 2017, 08:56 PM
That's typical, I have the same problem.:D
Kryn

scuzyboy
20th August 2017, 12:20 PM
Have a look at Hammer A3-41a it can be single phase and is 400mm cutter head spiral or straight

Acoustic & Electric Bass Guitars
Neptune’s Guitars - Master Luthiers (http://www.neptunesguitars.com)

tasbloke
20th August 2017, 12:40 PM
Yeah, the Hammer A3-41a is a super unit, but since they cost nearly $7k you would want to have a LOT of thicknessing to do. Unless you are running as a professional workshop and need that width ALL the time, a Ryobi 318mm thicknesser does a great job and is about 1/12 the price. You can have a look at them in Bunnings. Alternately, you might look at the cost of having a 3-phase circuit installed in your workshop, it could be a lot cheaper and you would have a wider range of choices for 400mm machines, including used ones.

Polishufc
20th August 2017, 06:23 PM
Out of my price range. Only have single phase to my house. I currently have a metabo bench top thicknesser and thought it would be nice to upgrade. Could spend about half the price of that hammer (pushing it) but hard to justify for home use.

Polishufc
1st October 2017, 08:25 PM
Purchased a 15" for now. Might keep an eye out for 20" locally. Thanks for the help