PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts about anchoring VL-200 to a concrete floor?

Fryers
3rd September 2017, 02:58 PM
I have a VL-200 long, mounted on a solid 100x50 box steel stand.
I often start with bowl blanks that are not balanced and my lathe can vibrate or even attempt to walk a bit.
I am considering anchoring the legs to the (domestic garage) concrete slab using Dyna bolts through high density vibration dampening rubber pads.
Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Fryers

China
3rd September 2017, 03:02 PM
I would use loxin's as they leave a flush finish if you wish to move it at a later stage

Gabriel
3rd September 2017, 03:14 PM
Or perhaps screw bolts as I once removed they only leave a hole

Pat
3rd September 2017, 03:18 PM
Ramset Ankascrew (https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-10-x-100mm-zinc-ankascrew-masonry-anchor_p2260283), available at Bunnies. 10*100 is what secures my Woodfast M910 to the floor.

Handyjack
3rd September 2017, 03:41 PM
The three above have the advantage over dynabolts as that they are easy to remove and refit. If the machine is removed they will only leave a hole that can be filled if required.
Loxins have the biggest advantage as they use a standard bolt and you are less likely to strip the thread. With the screw bolts - do not over tighten.

Fryers
3rd September 2017, 04:43 PM
Thank you all for your contributions. Off to the shop in the morning.
Any thought if its worth anchoring through the rubber pads?

Cheers,

Fryers

turnerted
3rd September 2017, 04:46 PM
What others have said . Vicmarc also suggest a bit of carpet as an alternative to rubber pads . It works OK on mine.
Ted

Fryers
3rd September 2017, 04:52 PM
Thanks Ted, will do.

hughie
6th September 2017, 06:30 PM
I have a VL-200 long, mounted on a solid 100x50 box steel stand.
I often start with bowl blanks that are not balanced and my lathe can vibrate or even attempt to walk a bit.
I am considering anchoring the legs to the (domestic garage) concrete slab using Dyna bolts through high density vibration dampening rubber pads.
Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If you think your going move the lathe at some stage and would want a smooth floor, just drill the hole deep enough to knock the Dyna bolts back down the hole.

Fryers

Anchor away its not a bad idea and its quite common. Although adding the dampening pads may not provide desired effect as they should really be mechanically isolated from the lathe and from the floor along with the bolts, something like this is probably the way to go.

smiife
6th September 2017, 08:26 PM
Ramset Ankascrew (https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-10-x-100mm-zinc-ankascrew-masonry-anchor_p2260283), available at Bunnies. 10*100 is what secures my Woodfast M910 to the floor.

Hi pat , how do they work ? Is there some kind of plug?

Bohdan
6th September 2017, 08:56 PM
Hi pat , how do they work ? Is there some kind of plug?

They screw directly into concrete into the correct sized hole and can be easily removed.

issatree
6th September 2017, 09:14 PM
Use some Sheet Lead between Lathe & Floor & that will dampen the Vibration.

Fryers
7th September 2017, 11:06 AM
Hughie,

Thanks for your response.
It looks like it would do the job, bu I can't identify it. What's it called and where do I get 4 of them?

Fryers

Treecycle
7th September 2017, 02:16 PM
This (https://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/08730709/mount-machinery-isolator-mackay-m13940) is the type of item Hughie is referring to but I don't think it is suitable for what you want to achieve. These rubber mounts are designed for high frequency vibration, not low frequency high imbalance.
As the rubber is fairly soft in those units the lathe will tend to rock and roll around with the imbalance of your wood.
Bolting it down to the floor with those will stop it moving around your workshop but it won't be stable. A thin sheet of rubber above and below each foot with a steel plate above the top piece and the anchor down through the lot into the concrete and tightened firmly but not too tight will keep the lathe in place and allow a small amount of movement and vibration absorption.

Chief Tiff
7th September 2017, 05:07 PM
To reduce vibration you need to add mass; by bolting the lathe to the shed floor you are effectively trying to add the weight of the slab but any flexible medium between it and the lathe shaft will reduce its effectiveness; even thin rubber sheeting. You also want to try and make the mating surfaces of the feet and the slab as smooth and fully in contact as possible; commercially this is achieved by setting the machine up on jacking bolts until it is at the correct height and then grouting it into position with either cement or an epoxy based system (such as Chockfast). Providing that your floor is level and the lathe has no suggestion of rocking then directly bolting it down will be likely be fine. Issatree's suggestion of adding some lead sheet under the feet is a very good one; it will take up the slight mismatch between the surfaces but won't flex. If the lathe rocks however, even slightly; you need to either shim up the "soft" foot first using steel or brass shimming; or grind down the concrete on the hard feet. Shimming is easier...

Even when it is bolted down hard there will be enough flex in the legs to allow some vibration; another way to reduce this is to fit a shelf between the legs as high as possible and fill it with bagged sand or concrete. Again; you are trying to add mass as close to the centre line of the lathe as possible.

hughie
7th September 2017, 06:34 PM
Hughie,

Thanks for your response.
It looks like it would do the job, bu I can't identify it. What's it called and where do I get 4 of them?

Fryers

try these, the image was just to give you an idea as to mechanical isolation.

RDGTOOLS 40MM ANTI VIBRATION MACHINE PADS (SET OF 4) LATHE ENGINEERING | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RDGTOOLS-40MM-ANTI-VIBRATION-MACHINE-PADS-SET-OF-4-LATHE-ENGINEERING-/291831752404?epid=1879670384&hash=item43f28726d4:g:AXMAAOSwnNBXaqES)

althouhg they maybe too small.

Look over this catalogue they one of the major manufacturers of pads, feet etc.
No relation although I wish :)

Vibration Isolators | Mackay Consolidated (http://www.mackayrubber.com.au/products/vibration-isolators/)

Or here Free Standing | Vibration Isolators | Mackay Consolidated (http://www.mackayrubber.com.au/products/vibration-isolators/free-standing/)

If you know the weight of the lathe this help you select the right feet

Paul39
8th September 2017, 10:14 AM
I agree with what Chief Tiff says above. Especially about getting any rocking out per the last sentence, as pulling the stand down hard without all feet being on the same level can induce twist in the bed. Not as important in a wood turning lathe as in a metal turning one, but could make head and tail centers be off a bit.