PDA

View Full Version : Height winder kit

Pulpo
20th March 2002, 01:43 PM
Finally after many a moons I'm about to invest in quiet a few triton gadgets.
Including but not limited to:

The 2000 workcentre
The Saw

Is the blade height winder a could investment?
It mentions on the web site its standard on the workcentres s/on 335,000+.
I suppose I should direct my query to Triton but does anyone know what this is referring to?
Also does anyone have any view on the Triton router bits, I was thinking of the pro kit?
For I am a complete novice to routing.

Finally could any one suggest a decent tool (hand and power) shop in Sydney; something like www.justtools.com.au (http://www.justtools.com.au) in Melbourne

Cheers

Iain
20th March 2002, 02:21 PM
Can't help with the table and height adjuster but I just went out and bought a flush trim bit as the one I had was not long enough. It was a Sunday and I had to go to Bunnies http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/mad.gif
Anyway I was looking at Carbitool and they did not have the one I wanted but there was a Triton in stock, also it was $19.95 and the Carbitool which was out of stock was $34.00.
Took home the bit and 'Viola' (or is that Cello?) it works like a charm. Nice smooth cut and no burning.
I generally use CMT for repetitive work such as dovetails etc and I am not making the comparison with that but I found it was every bit as good as the Carbitool, it is possible that they come from the same factory, I don't know, but for the money I was impressed, especially knowing what BUnnies mark up would be like.
I was trimming 5' lenghts of Tassy Oak by the way.

johna
20th March 2002, 02:40 PM
The height winder kit does not come with the workcentre, it it easier to fit on the newer models as it already has the new slide chassis and the pre drilled hole on the table top.
If you had the older workcentre you would also have to upgrade the saw slide chassis as well.
As for the router kit, i have this same kit and am very happy with it. It does the job very well and they last.

[This message has been edited by johna (edited 20 March 2002).]

zathras
20th March 2002, 10:27 PM
I recently bought the height winder kit + base for my MK3 and boy is it an improvement http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

One thing I did als do though was make up a jacking arrangement at the far end of the saw motor so I could readily adjust the saw blade square to the table top.
That is one advantage of the height winder, the saw is always left at full plunge.

I also drilled and tapped the cross member below the riving knife so I can now attach that to the table from above using a countersunk screw.

I'm very much happier now with the triton in table saw mode now.

Cheers Ray

Sandy Johnston
21st March 2002, 09:21 AM
I have used the height winder and I found it extreamly accurate and easy to use, not having used a table saw before.
The installation was straight forward even though I had to measure and drill through the tabe top.
Some times the mechanisime was a bit stiff and I tried several different lubes to make it silky-smooth again and the one I found the best was a few drops of diesel oil - it penetrates and lubes.
The deisel also works on any sliding metal/plastic/rubber bits in the workshop - but only use a few drops.
Cheap and effective and dosn't seem to affect any "man-made" material.
-Just keep it off your wood, and store any oily rags in a metal tin. Your workshop takes on the fragrance of a motor garage -nothing against that but not "woody".

Regards
Sandy across the ditch.
(I miss my Triton)

Pulpo
21st March 2002, 10:45 AM
For all those who read

"Is the blade height winder a "could" investment; should have read a good investment."

Yes it pays to read back, ones queries.

Appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

Burf
21st March 2002, 12:48 PM
I bought the winder kit after buying the dust collection system. It was money well spent, as even without the messsing about through the dust bag to adjust blade height, it is much easier to do this adjustment without getting down on your knees.

coastie
22nd March 2002, 11:24 AM
Pulpo
The number Triton refer to is the serial number on the front of your workcentre,the latest models have the hole pre drilled in the saw chassis,and you dont need to drill through the chassis.
Welcome to the world of Triton