PDA

View Full Version : Hot glue gun

brainstrust
17th September 2017, 07:51 PM
Bought a hot glue gun today which works a treat though the glue sticks it came with don't seem to be that strong adhesive wise. Are there any really good strong glue sticks out there?

Kidbee
17th September 2017, 08:00 PM
My are made by Bosch in France. They are not yellow but a clearer colour. They have performed well.

lups
17th September 2017, 10:13 PM
i bought a cheapo a few months ago and was having problems with the strength of the bond when glueing timber to a faceplate. after some advice from my grandfather it turned out the glue was fine but heating the faceplate first made all the difference. may not apply to your situation but just saying it may not be the glue thats the problem

pommyphil
18th September 2017, 07:25 AM
Yes,I use " Dollar Shop" sticks. I heat both surfaces with a hot air gun before glueing, never had a problem. Phil

orraloon
19th September 2017, 09:20 AM
I screw a timber disc to the faceplate then hot glue to that. Heating both surfaces also helps. I usually just buy the dollar shop sticks also.
Regards
John

brainstrust
19th September 2017, 05:38 PM
interesting, i'll try the heating surfaces process, it makes sense :2tsup:

WOODbTURNER
20th September 2017, 06:06 PM
Brings back memories of using old VCR wheels as hot glue face plates. Some can be used in compression or expansion mode in a chuck.420564420566

tony_A
21st September 2017, 10:04 PM
Many of the cheaper hot melt glues are intended for craft usage. Look for one that is designed for woodworking. That said, hot glue isnt really a glue and should be considered as more of a temporary join. I think of it more as a clamp to temporarily hold things in place. I used hot glue when building a strip plank kayak to hold the strips in place while the woodwork glue dried. Hot glue works really well when you apply a spot of glue and immediately join the two pieces because it cools quickly and solidifies. Gluing a large piece will require heating as mentioned above to keep the glue liquid until the join has been made. Then holding in place until all has solidified. I used a 3M glue which was hard when cool and broke away with a sharp sideways hit, generally without taking any timber with it.
Tony

John G
8th May 2018, 05:44 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but thought it would be better than starting a new one.

Other than the type of glue, is there a difference between the woodworking hot glue guns and the craft hot glue guns (such as Bostik)?
Do the WW guns use a higher temperature, and thus the glue is formulated differently (is much stronger)?

The WW guns seem to take 11mm sticks, which sounds much thicker than the "Dollar shop" sticks (mentioned in earlier posts) that you would use in something like a Bostik.

Paul39
10th May 2018, 05:00 AM
Brings back memories of using old VCR wheels as hot glue face plates. Some can be used in compression or expansion mode in a chuck.420564420566

Thanks for the great idea, I have just disassembled several VCRs.

brendan stemp
18th May 2018, 01:25 PM
I think the main issue with the hot glue is how hot it is when it comes out of the gun. The hotter it is the better is will stick. Problems arise when too big an area is being glued and the first glue to be squeezed out the gun will have time to cool before the last of the glue is applied. The quality of the gun is a factor because the heating element in cheaper ones can't keep up with large quantities of glue being dispensed. I overcome this by re-heating the glue with a gas flame until the glue is bubbling hot. When this is done the glue STICKS!