PDA

View Full Version : Which planer for Triton attachment

Pulpo
26th March 2002, 08:49 PM
G'day

Interested in purchasing a planer that will work well with the Triton Planer Attachment.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Pulpo

barrysumpter
31st March 2002, 07:36 PM
Hi Pulpo,
The Triton Planer Attachment will work with almost any Planer. I havn't seen a list of planers. But you can contact Triton to be sure.

If you've already got a Planer and a Triton work centre, AND DO NOT have a Router and Router Table then the Planer Attachment can be a cheap alternative to a Router and Router table.

For what its worth. I've had mine for some time and don't bother using it. Shame on me. When I do think of planing somthing down I move to the Triton Router Table and the Bosche Router.

Hope this helps,

Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Pulpo
1st April 2002, 11:51 PM
Thanks

Barry

I as yet do not have any triton products but that's about to change in a week or so.

I was a little confused, you actually plane the timber using the router in the triton.
Would the planer attachement be more effective and worthwhile investment?

Regards

Johnno
2nd April 2002, 04:58 PM
Hi pulpo;
Just to get my two cents worth - I have both the planer attachment and a router table. My planer is attached to an old Mk3 table, so it takes a bit longer to set up, but I think it is more versatile than using the router as a plane. With the planer attachment you have a far greater range of adjustment, while the router only allows you to adjust planing thickness by using shims. Also I'm a bit wary of using a bloody great long straight router bit sticking up out of the router table to thin down the recycled hardwood I use for my picture frames! Although I have a big Hitachi router I feel that the slightest 'out of round' of anything is either going to place undue strain on the bearings or chatter on the wood. The planer attachment is as good as any other Triton attachment - its accuracy is mainly limited by the care you use in setting it up.
Regardless of this, if I'm in the finishing stages of making a moulding and find that I need a mm or so off one edge, I have no hesitation in fitting a straight bit and adjusting the fence VERY carefully!

Enjoy...

Johnno

barrysumpter
7th April 2002, 08:42 PM
Hi Pulpo,

If you consider the the planner in the planner attachment is used as a router. Simply a vertical blade. The work piece slides against a fence you have to build accurately. And the work piece does not slide against the planner shoes.

What I've seen is that you leave the planner attached. Make your cut using the table saw. Leaving 1 or 2 mills extra. Slip on the custom built fence and run your work piece thru the planner.

The planner removes the extra 1 or 2 mills and leaves a very smooth finish.

And it quite convenient once you get the mechanics down of remembering a performing the planning of every saw cut.

The cons are the planner is always in the way. The table seems to tilt slightly. The custom built planner fence limits the width of my workpiece. And I spent far too much time adjusting for accuracy.

I'll have to mount mine again and have another fair go soon.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Nuggett
8th April 2002, 08:35 PM
Hi
I own the planer attchment, in all I have to keep adjusting the planer after every few board I run through!! I think that it might be my planer as it's a cheap Ozito brand and it very hard to adjust the depth of cut.

Nuggett
8th April 2002, 08:44 PM
Hi
I own the planer attchment, I find I have to keep adjusting the planer after every few boards I run through!! I think that it might be my planer as it's a cheap Ozito brand and it very hard to adjust the depth of cut.I was wondering if anybody has had similar problems? I haven't made the jigs that Triton recomended but I use the Bevel Ripping guide & the normal fences to plane with.If anyone can shed some light on this and some other tips please reply