PDA

View Full Version : Vermeer

Mike Tilley
18th September 2017, 09:17 AM
Does anyone here use the Vermec sphere cutting jig? What is your opinion on it?

dai sensei
18th September 2017, 09:43 AM
Good solid unit that works well. My main complaint is that the bearing housing is so large the maximum size of the sphere you can turn is limited.

I ended up making my own similar to the Vermec but with a base with a sleeve so I could use it on my large Jet and my smaller Woodfast

WOODbTURNER
18th September 2017, 12:13 PM
Have one of Enzo's original to suit a Vicmarc VL300 and it is still working great. It didn't have a centering pin like the later ones but Enzo gave me a new main shaft with a pin when I had a trip to Queensland. Well made and highly recommended solid gear from a great bloke. PS Enzo is the owner of Vermec as I just saw that you are in the US.

Mobyturns
19th September 2017, 12:34 AM
Have one of Enzo's original to suit a Vicmarc VL300 and it is still working great. It didn't have a centering pin like the later ones but Enzo gave me a new main shaft with a pin when I had a trip to Queensland. Well made and highly recommended solid gear from a great bloke. PS Enzo is the owner of Vermec as I just saw that you are in the US.

I have the orig Vermec sphere jig set up on my old Woodfast M908 lathe. Brilliant unit, not having the centering pin is no big hassle to me.

plt43
19th September 2017, 07:14 AM
Hi Mike,
I picked up a second hand one a while back and it greatly speeds up the turning of a sphere compared to using a template. Very nice finish as long as the cutter is sharp.
Only thing to note is you will still have to deal with the nib at the headstock / chuck end.
cheers
Phil

WOODbTURNER
19th September 2017, 10:27 AM
Hi Mike,
I picked up a second hand one a while back and it greatly speeds up the turning of a sphere compared to using a template. Very nice finish as long as the cutter is sharp.
Only thing to note is you will still have to deal with the nib at the headstock / chuck end.
cheers
Phil
Enzo manufactures poly cups/cones that screw into mt live centres for this purpose

Kidbee
19th September 2017, 02:16 PM
I have that one, plus a lot of other products made by Vermec. They are all beautifully engineered and Quality with a capital 'Q'.

Mobyturns
19th September 2017, 02:18 PM
I have that one, plus a lot of other products made by Vermec. They are all beautifully engineered and Quality with a capital 'Q'.

Definitely high quality! Hard to go past Vermec or Vicmarc gear.

Mike Tilley
19th September 2017, 09:16 PM
Thanks for all the information will try to get in touch with him on buying.

Hors
20th September 2017, 10:23 AM
Definitely high quality! Hard to go past Vermec or Vicmarc gear.

Runs in the family.