PDA

View Full Version : Hey All, newbie here.

pkroeze
21st September 2017, 04:46 PM
Hi all,

My names Paul and I've been on this forum a couple months just browsing. Always been interested in wood work but never got off my butt and learned it until about a year ago when I needed to upgrade my Laundry and didn't want to have to sell a kidney just to afford a low quality/horrible chip board bench from Bunnings :no:. Anyway it's been a fun Journey the last year, haven't done half as much as I would like but with the warmth and light in the evenings increasing I get to spend more time doing this.

Anyway to the point of this post I've slowly been collecting tools and I have wanted a wood lathe for a while, A friend alerted me that he could get a lathe and I could have it for $50 and he said it wasn't an old run down thing, so I agreed. I've got no idea what it is, it doesn't have any branding on it that I can find but it is solid, approx 1.5m long and on a very sturdy stand. It's run by a 1HP Crompton Parkinson single phase motor. I did some reading about how to determine what sort of shape it is in and most sources agreed that the bed is important to check and obviously the spindle can't be damaged. So I went out and checked the bed and yes you can see wear on it. It dips away towards the inner edges slightly but I can't tell if it is significant or not. What would be a significant amount of wear? 1mm? 2mm? 3mm? I just want to figure out if I bought something that will work okay or if I've scored a bargain as I've got no idea. My friend that sourced it for me thinks it worth quite a bit. For $50 I'm not too fussed as it will still turn something basic but if it's still it great condition mechanically that would be a pretty cool bonus.

Anyway I will be buying a face plate and center for it tomorrow and potentially testing it tomorrow evening. I'll put some photo's up this evening.

brainstrust
21st September 2017, 09:00 PM
you are at a very interesting and exciting stage. I'm not far in front of you! Get stuck into it and see how you go, I bet you'll surprise yourself:U

Greasemonkey
21st September 2017, 10:11 PM
H mate, I'm in the same boat as you just starting out with a second hand lathe. I'm loving it, it's addictive.

maņana
21st September 2017, 10:57 PM
Welcome to the Forum Paul. How about some photos of your bargain? Someone on the Forum will be sure to be able to identify it for you.
Mick C

pkroeze
22nd September 2017, 12:40 PM
here are some photo's

old1955
22nd September 2017, 01:13 PM
Welcome to the forum Paul.

Gary H
22nd September 2017, 02:48 PM
G'day Paul,

For fifty bucks you will get hundred of dollars of fun out of it. The 1HP motor is worth that alone, and if you don't like the lathe you can always sell it. It's definitely not one of the top brands; more like my first one - a chinese "special" on which I learnt heaps! And what you learn will be priceless! GO FOR IT!

Cheers, Gary

Paul39
23rd September 2017, 01:00 AM
Most interesting lathe with the C section bed with what appears to be a wood insert. That would cut down on the vibration and noise and maybe make it stiffer. It looks shop built to me and a better lathe than you can buy new for $200 - $300.

hughie
23rd September 2017, 09:28 AM
Yup, its shop built or DIY, but for $50 its a great buy it will do just fine for a beginning. Depending on how handy you are as you could do a few mods to make it easier to use.
Buts a good deal and will get you going with ease

pkroeze
23rd September 2017, 05:59 PM
Cheers all, any idea where I can get a 1" X 8 TPI face plate? Can't seem to find one in all the usual places there all 1 1/4"

Gary H
24th September 2017, 11:52 AM
McJing Tools have them, and their delivery and service is great! Speaking from experience, and not involved other than as a happy customer.

Fumbler
24th September 2017, 08:00 PM
Cheers all, any idea where I can get a 1" X 8 TPI face plate? Can't seem to find one in all the usual places there all 1 1/4"

If not mcJings, you could always buy another faceplate and an insert to match your thread.

pkroeze
24th September 2017, 09:05 PM
Thanks again. Will go with mcJings.