PDA

View Full Version : Saw allignment

GIH
7th April 2002, 08:15 PM
When I set up my Triton saw in my new workbench it set up perfectly first time. Thanks heavens - as I'm not the most mechanically adept person.

Yesterday I found that it had tilted slightly to the left (as you look at it). I have been able to fix it with the small adjustment cam (?) cranked as far clockwise as it will go.

What could have gone wrong to cause the need for the adjustment - and what other sources of adjustment are there other than the little adjustment cam?

barrysumpter
7th April 2002, 08:23 PM
Hi GIH,

Its usually moving the workcentre around and bumping it that causes the biggest moves. Otherwise it just everyday wear and tear.

Have a look at your Triton saw manual. There are a number of fine adjustment and stability features on the Saw itself.

Blade angle trimmer, Locking rear pivot, Heavy duty height adjustment, Micro adjuster, height setting lever, Alignment cams. All of which adds to the accuracy and stability of your cuts. Most of them, once set, will never be needed again. Unless of course you've got questions regarding accuracy.

Hope this helps,

Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritioneer

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 07 April 2002).]

GIH
7th April 2002, 10:34 PM
Thanks Barry

I will find the manual and keep tinkering. It's still not as good as it was. The cuts are square again, but not as smooth.

GIH

Sandy Johnston
8th April 2002, 09:32 AM
Hi GIH,

I found I had some trouble keeping my saw settings stable until I figured it out.
All things being stable the saw would creep out of alignment over a few weekends and that was due to the saw inserts mounting catches letting the saw "drift" alittle.
Once I had the alignment sorted out, I would undo, < one at a time,> the mounting catches and get them hard-up against the saw frame. Then remove the plastic thumb nut thingy and replace it with a washer and 2 x nuts the first one pinches up tight the second to lock it into place.
Repeat for the other 3.
This makes the time involved removing the saw from the mounting plate a bit of a mission, but the settings are rock solid.

I wish you well.

Sandy across the ditch

soundman
9th April 2002, 11:17 AM
one thing you must understand. a triton is a bunch of tin pieces held together with nuts & bolts. It will move around given the slightest excuse particularly if you drag it arround the workshop. particular attention to the saw mounting in the frame is important.
Its been years since I owned a triton but mine was always left in one place. always in saw bench mode. and carefully leveled.
I also fuund that sone thin rubber or felt glued to the saw carrier gave the base of the saw something to bite into. as for the clamping bolts always nylock nuts.
a further big tip
I never used the calibrations on the saw bench I used two long steel rules held to the bench with strong maginets to set up the fence. one at the front of the blade and one at the rear.
you can achieve good sub milimetre accuracy with a triton but it takes some tuning, time & effort and some stuff that didn't come in the box.
Even now on my bessimyer type fence if I want real accuracy I still use a steel rule not the on bench calibrations.