PDA

View Full Version : Little Blue Meanie

Gabriel
23rd September 2017, 08:12 PM
Hey folks,

Searching eBay early this week and a vl100 popped up within 'reasonable' driving distance. It was starting very cheap so I thought I'd get in at ground level and see how my luck went. I don't bother with the last minute hustle of eBay - if I want something I put my idea of a fair price in, if I win great, if not then people have deeper pockets than me.

I was in luck! Picked it up for a reasonable price.

I picked it up, it's ex school so it's had a hard life in not being dusted regularly and missing a couple of bits and bobs, but an easy life in that it wouldn't have been pushed to its limits.

It's a 1999 model, manual speed change and I was pleasantly surprised to find it has a 10 X 1 TPI headstock and 5/8 banjo/tool ready size. This means that all my jet 1220 extras will slot right in. (Not so great when I sell the jet as there won't be so many extras)

I purchased it with the thought of building it up to a variable speed as a dedicated pen lathe. I feel bad turning pens on the stubby, and whilst the jet has been a perfect learning lathe, it wasn't worth spending big bucks on it to add a few bells and whistles.

After a bit of wd40 and cleaning, everything seems to be in reasonable knock, and the centres still line up perfectly!!

I have emailed vicmarc in hope they have a digital copy of the manual/parts list so I can list specifically what needs to be replaced. Also if they still stock replacement parts. I haven't received a a reply yet, but it's the weekend so hopefully by the end of next week someone will get back to me.

Does anyone here have a digital copy of the manual and/or an exploded diagram of parts for the vl100?

Is the vicmarc vs unit available at Carroll's my best option (I'm not very electronically minded)

Anyways, a couple of shots of my good fortune, and I'm looking forward to giving this little baby a birthday and get it back to its former glory.

Kuffy
23rd September 2017, 09:04 PM
Not overkill for pens at all Gab. The machine has your name on it which begs the question, how much other stuff were they selling that they needed to identify each item to a buyer, and was it any good? Not that I have any money, but for cheap stuff I can usually find a couple of $1's and $2's under the seat cushions.

Simplicity
23rd September 2017, 09:22 PM
Wow nice score.
But I thought you were pushing for realestate.
Immmm and with the little shed extension happing.
This is all stating to smell a little bit.

Cheers Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabriel
23rd September 2017, 09:31 PM
Kuffy, they were getting rid of all their workshop machinery, but I believe most of it went for too much.... There was a nice wadkin grinder- but I don't need one so didn't pay attention to the sale. They have a whole new building being kitted out with new stuff.

Matt, I'm still married (just) but had to reassure the lovely wife I was selling the jet to make room. The vicmarc is actually a bit smaller so eventually I'll be saving space!!

Simplicity
23rd September 2017, 09:44 PM
Kuffy, they were getting rid of all their workshop machinery, but I believe most of it went for too much.... There was a nice wadkin grinder- but I don't need one so didn't pay attention to the sale. They have a whole new building being kitted out with new stuff.

Matt, I'm still married (just) but had to reassure the lovely wife I was selling the jet to make room. The vicmarc is actually a bit smaller so eventually I'll be saving space!!

I wasn't informed you had a Jet lathe
I wasn't informed you were selling a Jet lathe [emoji849]

Gabriel
23rd September 2017, 09:56 PM
I wasn't informed you had a Jet lathe
I wasn't informed you were selling a Jet lathe [emoji849]

Not selling it yet.... Gotta make sure the vicmarc is running smoothly first......

P.s. it's a great little lathe to learn on, with capacity to turn most small/med items :U

Simplicity
23rd September 2017, 10:19 PM
Not selling it yet.... Gotta make sure the vicmarc is running smoothly first......

P.s. it's a great little lathe to learn on, with capacity to turn most small/med items :U

That sounds very much like I must have two laths at all times.
Plus great marketing all rolled in to one post [emoji12]

Sturdee
23rd September 2017, 11:49 PM

Great buy, you will like the VL100.It's a nice small lathe, our club has them as well.

But don't sell the Jet you will find that you'll need all three. It's so convenient to have the ability to use more than one lathe on a complicated project, or convert one to a dedicated buffing set up. I can highly recommend a buffing lathe. :2tsup:

Peter.

Gabriel
23rd September 2017, 11:53 PM
I love the way you think Peter, alas space being a premium I couldn't justify 3 lathes.... Next you'll be saying I should get more chucks :U:U

Sturdee
23rd September 2017, 11:58 PM
I love the way you think Peter, alas space being a premium I couldn't justify 3 lathes.... Next you'll be saying I should get more chucks :U:U

Gab, I've been saying that for years, you can never have enough chucks, even I haven't enough and am thinking of getting a few more for my birthday/Christmas.:2tsup:

Peter.