PDA

View Full Version : Blackwood bowl

tony_A
24th September 2017, 08:19 PM
Not my first bowl but the first that I have felt comfortable putting up for critique.
Bowl is 200 mm diameter and stands 150 high. Cracks and grub holes filled with resin and coffee grounds. Sanded to 1200, finished with Hard Burnishing Oil, then polished with eee. Will put a coat of wax on it at some point.
C&C welcome

Tony

brainstrust
24th September 2017, 08:52 PM
Great wood and a great bowl. I have a few decent sized pieces of Blackwood I just need to season. I'd be very happy to produce something even close to that. :2tsup:

tony_A
24th September 2017, 09:06 PM
Thanks brainstrust. Have to admit that the 80 grit bowl gouge had a serious workout removing of torn grain
Tony

dai sensei
24th September 2017, 10:04 PM
Looks really good except the straight sides at the top. IMO curving the shape back in towards the middle would have been better, but that's just me.

Paul39
25th September 2017, 02:57 AM
Looks really good except the straight sides at the top. IMO curving the shape back in towards the middle would have been better, but that's just me.

I didn't notice the straight sides at first look. Curving in a bit might look better, but I think it is fine just as it is. Nice figure and finish.

tony_A
25th September 2017, 08:05 AM
Thanks Neil and Paul
I agree that the bowl would look (and feel) a bit better if it curved in a bit more at the top. When I took it off the lathe I could see that I should have curved the top in a little further.
Tony

artme
25th September 2017, 01:52 PM
Very special grain there!! Like the whole bowl but I tend to agree with the straight sides crew.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Rod Gilbert
25th September 2017, 07:06 PM
Beautiful piece there Tony,
Great piece of timber and nice clean lines,I can see some curve to the top a few mm more maybe but I find the shape pleasing to the eye nice smooth curve all the way through the sides.:2tsup::2tsup:
Regards Rod.

smiife
25th September 2017, 08:04 PM
Hi tony, I think the bowl looks great , I don, t mind the
shape , and the finish is very nice , well done :2tsup:

tony_A
25th September 2017, 08:39 PM
Rod & Artme; Thanks for taking the time to comment. Initially started turning this piece out of interest to see the shape and position of the figured crutch wood between the two branches.
There's much to learn in wood turning, tool use, form and design along with timber selection.

Tony

mummatoni
2nd October 2017, 01:49 AM
Stunning matey. Top job you have every right to be proud of that one

keep on plugging away

NeilS
2nd October 2017, 09:25 AM
....I can see some curve to the top a few mm more maybe but I find the shape pleasing to the eye...

.... +1