PDA

View Full Version : Bring out my chariot (plane)

IanW
13th October 2017, 09:28 PM
A couple of weeks ago I made a small rebate plane (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/brass-rebate-plane-217212) using rivets to join the pieces. I’d long planned it as a bullnose, but it morphed into more of a small shoulder plane, for various reasons, one of which was that I had decided I wanted to make a small chariot plane which in bullnose form would suit the jobs I have in mind better than a ½” wide plane.

Now I have to confess that this is another of my whims. Chariot planes have fallen out of the repertoire for almost 100 years, and again (as I asked recently about panel planes), why has a plane that was apparently part of many tool kits back in the day, so comprehensively disappeared? They look like a neat little gadget, but apart from various pics in books & magazine, I have only seen chariot planes in the flesh about twice, & was unable to even touch them. More troubling, I could find very little in the way of typical dimensions so I went by intuition to a large extent. This was my inspiration, the Norris 28 (well, the pic is probably of a 28GS, the 28 had steel sides): 422037

They came in 3 sizes, & the smallest had a cutter width of 1 1/8”. I’d already decided I wanted a cutter of about 1” width, and to supply that I had a well-worn old block-plane blade I planned to trim to size. It had about 15-20mm of hard metal left, according to my file test, and I stood to lose a few mm more re-squaring & cleaning up the badly-rounded part off the back. I made a drawing for the sides by eyeballing the pic & judging the scale, cut out a template, and marked out some 1/8th brass plate. I had some 1/8th gauge-plate for the sole, and the nose-piece will be that scrap of 3/8” thick brass left over from some other job: 422036

The dovetails were marked out on the sides, cut out, & filed to the scribe lines. In my vast experience of making dovetailed planes (now a total of 3!), I have found that the amount of projection of the pins & tails is important. About 1.5mm of projection on small tails like these works well – less than that & you might struggle to fill any larger gaps, but you don’t need or want much more, either, as too much metal just gets in your way. I allowed a bit more than 1.2mm, which turned out to be just enough.

I then transferred the tails to the sides of the sole, just as you would for a set of drawer sides: 422035

After cutting out most of the waste & some careful filing to the scribe-lines, I had a good tap-in fit on the first side (Edit: Getting the corners really sharp for a close fit needs a sharp-cornered file. A #4 Grobert needle file was perfect for this): 422034

After fitting the other side, I turned my attention to fitting a chatter block and filing the blade bed. I had intended riveting the chatter-block to the sole, but decided in the end to silver-solder it. I reckoned it would be easier to do with these small components, and it would give me a chance to remove it easily & try again if things went pear-shaped. In fact, it was all pretty straightforward, & working with an ‘open’ mouth was a lot easier than having to file out a ‘closed' mouth on a typical sole. The mouth was totally accessible because I didn’t have to fit the nose-piece until near the end of the construction.

With the chatter block fitted & filed to pretty close to its final angle, it was time to make up a buck and start peening. For this little plane I routed out an image of the sides, fitting them as closely as I could: 422033

I started peening with the sides clamped firmly to the buck, and after the dovetails had been closed enough to hold firmly, the clamps were removed & I could peen away unrestricted.

Here we are, almost done, but I probably spent another ½ hour peening from here, checking each tail & making sure the metal was worked well over & there were no potential gaps:422032

You might notice the steel has been peened more than the brass. This is deliberate because the brass I’m using (380 alloy) is a bit brittle and will start to split & flake if peened too much. But by making the brass tails a tight fit, they don’t need a lot of peening, just enough to ensure they squash down a bit & fill any small gaps. Most of the metal-moving & filling is done with the steel.

With the peening done, I filed the sides & sole roughly level. I’m not aiming to clean it up completely yet, that will come after I fit the nose, I just want to check that the peening is thorough. All looks well: 422031

Now it’s time to think about fitting the woodwork. I had some small scraps of Mulga, & while the bit for the blade bed was ample, the beautifully-figured piece for the wedge was a little thinner than I wanted. It was too nice to reject, so I decided to give it a try: 422030

With the wooden bed fitted & epoxied in place, I could tidy up the whole blade bed (a much easier operation with an open mouth!), after which the nose-piece could be put in place. It was filed to a nice-firm fit, then I held the cutter in place & tapped it ‘til it looke like I had the right opening with just a smidge of blade protrusion. I was aiming for a bit less than 0.5mm. It was then silver-soldered to fix it. I was intending to rivet it as well, but the solder flowed in beautifully & made such a good, solid (& neat) job I decided rivets would be unnecessary. 422029

The bridge began as a solid chunk of 3/16 brass, which was first drilled & tapped for the retaining screws, then shaped with files to a sort-of traditional ‘cupid bow’.
It was fitted with much care – for me this is always the most fraught operation of the build, but this time it went well. It sat nice & square, contacting most of the roughed-out wedge. I’ll adjust it to fit perfectly with a bit of judicious scraping during the final clean-up: 422028

Run out of pic space - to be continued.......

IanW
13th October 2017, 09:34 PM
At this stage, the excitement was building, & I just had to rough-assemble & give it a try. After a bit of fiddling with the blade, out came some lovely fine shavings: 422042

With that as encouragement, I set to & made a couple of inset screws for the bridge, finished cleaning up the sides & sole, and polished up the woodwork. That wedge is a bewdiful bit of Mulga, but I just wish it had been about 6mm thicker so it could have stood proud of the brass. One day, if I stumble on the right piece, I will re-make it: 422041

The sole lapped cleanly and the mouth opening is pretty much spot-on what I was aiming for. 422040

So, most importantly, what’s it like? Noice! With a fine set, the shavings spill up out of the throat very nicely. I’m very happy with it. Now I’m not one for getting too mystical, this is just a little bull-nosed block plane after all, but it was cutting so sweetly I found myself planing away just for the pleasure of it! 422039

It can happily take its place in my growing family of home-built metal planes: 422038

Cheers,

LanceC
13th October 2017, 10:01 PM
That is an outstanding result. Your story telling is quite captivating too! Have you considered submitting an article to FWW? They could probably use it in their annual tool edition if not a regular monthly edition.

Enfield Guy
14th October 2017, 06:17 PM
I have something suitable to replace the wedge if you choose Ian. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Cheers
Bevan

Chief Tiff
14th October 2017, 07:05 PM
Sigh, another beautifully executed piece of work. I want to retire too!

WRT the brass alloy being brittle; have you tried annealing it? Just heat to cherry red then bury it in sand; brass likes to cool down sl-ow-ly. During my apprenticeship I regularly had to hand form things like brass hinges, brackets and decorative items and always used this method to soften the metal first.

rwbuild
14th October 2017, 07:53 PM
A most enjoyable thread and your skills are a credit to you :2tsup:x100

Luke Maddux
14th October 2017, 08:52 PM
Ian,

Does the bridge swing/rotate freely, or with a bit of persuasion, around the screws? Or is it fixed somehow?

The plane looks great. I see these a lot on the interwebs and have always thought they were pretty cool. This seems like a good first plane to make. Would you agree, or would you push someone toward a shoulder plane build with no experience?

My partially furnished apartment is a bit too pressing to allow for planemaking right now, but I hope to have enough cabinets built to allow for some puttsing around on fun stuff in the future... No guarantees that that will happen (ever), but I did make a matched pair of marking tools the other day for a thank you gift to someone who saved me some money on hardware:

Bit of O-1 steel bar from Amazon.com and a chopped up HCS reciprocating saw blade... so you could say I'm a pretty serious metalworker now I guess :cool:...:wink:

Without giving away any secrets, are there more infills on the horizon for you?

Cheers,
Luke

Luke Maddux
14th October 2017, 08:55 PM
Oh, and what's the bedding angle and bevel angle? I'm assuming it's a bevel up plane?

IanW
15th October 2017, 08:51 AM
I have something suitable to replace the wedge if you choose Ian. I'll post a photo tomorrow.....

Thanks Bevan - I haven't come across figured Mulga more than about twice in 20 years, so I'm reluctant to chuck away the bit I used, but if you had a piece as nice as this and a bit thicker, I'm sure we could work out some sort of trade very quickly! :U

I'll check the dimensions to see what minimum size it would need (when the rain stops & I can get to the shed....)

Cheers,

IanW
15th October 2017, 10:14 AM
......Does the bridge swing/rotate freely, or with a bit of persuasion, around the screws? Or is it fixed somehow?......

Hi Luke, I should've given more details, but the post started getting too long-winded so I had to cut it here & there. Yes, the bridge rotates. You could use a simple rod to retain the wedge, or make a fixed bridge, but I think a moveable bridge distributes pressure on the wedge more evenly. There are a couple of ways to do it, but I chose to make two head-less screws which go about 9mm into the bridge from each side. The bridge is a sliding fit between the sides, & it can rotate because the part of each screw in the sides is un-threaded but turned to a good fit in the holes. I don't like to pin bridges or lever-caps permanently, as is often done, because it always turns out I need to remove them for some reason or other, after I think I've put it in place for the last time....

......This seems like a good first plane to make. Would you agree, or would you push someone toward a shoulder plane build with no experience? .....

There are a couple of features that would make this a good first plane, I think. First, it's fairly small, which reduces the number of dovetails to peen, and there is less filing & lapping. Second, the mouth is easier to make because the toe is a completely separate piece so you don't have to cut the mouth out of the middle of the sole. Cutting the mouth out of a chunk of steel is tedious & not easy to get perfect (damhik!). For a really fine mouth at lower blade angles where you'll be using a BU blade, it's impossible to get files through the narrow slot, so they have to be done by cutting the sole across & re-joining them (usually with a tongue & groove joint), after the mouth is made(!). Sounds very tricky, & I haven't tried it yet, but it's obviously do-able.

Oth, making a shoulder plane by riveting the bits together might also be a good way to start. These also have a two-part sole, so again, no tricky mouth-making. You get to prepare all the crucial bits beforehand, & as long as you are careful when assembling (see the discussion in the thread on the little rebate plane (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/brass-rebate-plane-217212) I made a week or so back), there isn't much to go wrong, just a bit of cleaning-up & refining.

The bed angle of my chariot plane is 20* so yes, it has to be BU. I'm not as huge a fan of BU as some, but I have to admit this particular example seems to work well for me (much better than my ancient 110!), probably due in large part to the much tighter mouth. I was using it yesterday to refine a small curly-Maple picture frame & the bull-nose feature was very handy, letting me get up close to the edges of the mitres safely. I also noticed that I can modify the shavings consistently by applying more or less finger pressure to the nose. By pressing on the nose, I could take heavier cuts initially, then ease off & make wispy, clean shavings & leave a really clean surface. Never been able to do that with any other plane I own - this is a fun little toy!

..........Without giving away any secrets, are there more infills on the horizon for you.....

Yes, there are two more projects on the drawing board (the one at the back of my cerebral cortex), which may or may not get done this year. One is another infill smoother, for which I'm trying to get some very fancy stuffing, but not having much luck getting exactly what I want, so it may languish for a while.

The other is a medium-sized shoulder plane, of simple construction & using a wooden wedge (can't figure out why you dislike hammer-setting planes so much, Luke - I find them far quicker & easier than fighting with any Norris-style adjuster!). It will use a readily-available 3/4" blade & all the parts can be cut out easily from standard sizes of brass stock. If you like, I could do a step-by step & shrink it into a PDF small enough to attach to a post. I don't claim my methods are up to 'real' metalworker standards, but it would be a starting point for anyone thinking of giving it a go, & I would highlight where I have any problems in the hope it might help others to avoid them. But don't hold your breath - I have a few other commitments so I'm not sure when I'll get to it!

Cheers,

Enfield Guy
15th October 2017, 10:19 AM
Here is what I have. Not sure of the species but I does have some quite nice subtle figure. The higher you polish, the better the figure. I was told it was Mulga at the time. This piece is 425 x 100 x 35 - 50. I'd be happy to cut you a piece, I do have quite a bit more.

Cheers

IanW
15th October 2017, 10:41 AM
Sigh, ...... I want to retire too! ....

It'll happen sooner than you think, CT, but don't expect it to free-up anywhere near as much time as you expect - so far I've managed to achieve less than 1/4 of what I planned to do in the first couple of years! :U

......WRT the brass alloy being brittle; have you tried annealing it? Just heat to cherry red then bury it in sand; brass likes to cool down sl-ow-ly. During my apprenticeship I regularly had to hand form things like brass hinges, brackets and decorative items and always used this method to soften the metal first.....

Actually, brass has quite different properties from steel & it doesn't matter if you cool brass quickly or slowly - heating it to cherry-red will anneal it, even if you quench. My main problem is it's not very practical to heat the job to the extent required for annealing, I'd run the risk of distorting he whole shebang, and the sole steel is O-1, so you would have to cool carefully or it could harden.

What would be far & away the best solution would be to get my hands on some 260 brass for the sides. It's softer & more ductile than the 380. But it would seem there is just no demand for 260 in Aus, because none of the suppliers stock it in any sizes I need. :C Peter McBride has mentioned using some, I keep meaning to contact him to see if he knows where I can get a bit to try. The 380 is OK as long as you take a bit of care in getting a good fit with your D/Ts so you don't have to squelch the brass down too much. All the heavy work can be done on the steel. I expect O-1 work-hardens, eventually, but it seems to cop an awful lot of hammering without splitting or flaking, so it's really not as much of an issue as you might expect. I've made a few hinges in my time and you certainly have to anneal the brass I used in that situation (I think it was 380 too), or you don't have a lot of success!

Cheers,

IanW
15th October 2017, 10:47 AM
Here is what I have. Not sure of the species but I does have some quite nice subtle figure. The higher you polish, the better the figure. I was told it was Mulga at the time. This piece is 425 x 100 x 35 - 50. I'd be happy to cut you a piece, I do have quite a bit more.

Thanks Bevan - it looks more like Gidgee than Mulga in the pic (more open grain), but these are variable species & IDing from pictures is a very unsafe practice for any wood! :U

I think we aren't too far apart - I'll contact you by PM & we'll arrange a shed visit...

Cheers,

planemaker
15th October 2017, 03:27 PM
Ian; you might enjoy this recent post on the U.K forum site; New block plane : Hand Tools - UKworkshop.co.uk (http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/new-block-plane-t108258.html)

IanW
15th October 2017, 09:18 PM
Ian; you might enjoy this recent post on the U.K forum site; New block plane : Hand Tools - UKworkshop.co.uk (http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/new-block-plane-t108258.html)

Thanks Stewie, I did. Even threw my 2c worth into the discussion..... :U

Cheers,

IanW
18th October 2017, 06:33 PM
I dropped by Bevan's busy shed this morning & picked up a piece of the wood he generously offered. When I sawed it, it gave off the faint violety odour I associate with Gidgee, & it also has a slightly more coarse cell structure, more like Gidgee to me than Mulga, but I'm not going to court on it - it's definitely an Acacia and it's definitely a nice piece of wood!

My piece had a half-buried branch near the end, with some nice fiddleback figure around it. I tried to preserve as much of the figure as I could, but it had a nasty little bark inclusion that went further in than I expected, & I had to shave off most of the best figure to get sound wood for the palm end. There is still some subtle figure, especially over the right side (it doesn't show up very well in the pic, but it's there). Anyway, it has scrubbed up very nicely, as these woods do, & my new wedge looks much more shapely & feels a whole lot better than my skimpy bit of Mulga: 422522

The Mulga's too pretty to chuck out, I'm sure I'll find the right place for it some day.

So thanks very much Bevan - this plane is definitely finished. Now onto the next one.......
:U
Cheers

Enfield Guy
18th October 2017, 09:41 PM
Looks great Ian. My pleasure to be of help. It is what we do here, ain't it!