PDA

View Full Version : Tools ... fresh from the workshop

Dust Mite
14th October 2017, 12:31 PM
I finally splashed out and bought some carbide tool tips. No.1 square and round to start with.
After seeing the price here (http://www.timberlywoodturning.co.nz/categories/Easy-Wood-Tools-/Full%252dSize-Easy-Tools-/) for full sized tools, I nearly had heart failure. Still the old saying quality = price reared its head.

Not wanting to shell out the best part part of $500 big ones I decided to make my own.
Best money I've spent on tools for a while. Had I bought the bar in a meter length it would have only cost me $2.80, but the guy didnt mention that until he had already cut two lengths.

A little bit of machining, gluing, grinding and filing and hey presto two rosewood handled wood lathe tools for approx $42.00 each. Well worth the morning effort. They sure do whittle the wood off in a hurry, just what I needed for those bigger projects. Plus I just had to add the rolling pin into photo as well, an project made real fast and easy with the carbide tools.

Parts:
13mm (1/2 inch) square bar 450 mm long x 2 $3.50 each
1 pack copper olives (https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/plumb-it-olives-20mm-copper/p/289522) = $4.37
1 square and 1 round carbide cutter = $70.00
4 pieces 50 x 25 Rose wood = free.

artme
18th October 2017, 09:10 AM
Nighswerk indeed and a great saving of dollars!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I will be interested to see that double ended unit when finished!:p

Dust Mite
18th October 2017, 06:27 PM
Cheers artme, the double ended unit aka my wifes rolling pin, is one of the things I will turn more of. The one pictured didnt work well, and the lighter wood variety is a little hairy grained so its going to become handles for a couple of smaller chisels for doing detail work. They should look quite good as multi coloured handles.

Fumbler
19th October 2017, 01:11 AM
Here's my 3 and yet to give a good run in. $39.50 each. cost was a bit higher as I used 12mmsq stainless (hand polished). total tool length 610mm. nice and long.

Dust Mite
20th October 2017, 05:51 AM
Nice work Fumbler.
Its most gratifying to be able to make a nice tool and save a bundle as well.
I see you did exactly what I was planning to do with my diamond carbide tip with the little drilled out recess. Very cool.

Its a long weekend this week so I will give the tools a good workout. Not sure on what yet, maybe a zipped vase, or something similar.