PDA

View Full Version : Carving on a 15 3/4" Teak Platter

splinterz25
16th October 2017, 02:14 PM
Hello once again everyone I thought I would try my hand at some carving this time; This is my first carving project and I have about 3/4 rough out and just started w/ the details. Comments welcome,

Bruce

mummatoni
16th October 2017, 02:17 PM
Wow that is so awesome. Great job

keep on plugging away

splinterz25
17th October 2017, 03:54 AM
Wow that is so awesome. Great job

keep on plugging away
Thank you mummatoni; There's still a great deal to do, but I find this carving process very relaxing. This is the first carving project that I have ever done and I like it so much that I'm already thinking of other projects to do over the winter months.
Bruce

brendan stemp
17th October 2017, 06:38 PM
Excellent work. I like the areas that pierce right through.

artme
18th October 2017, 08:58 AM
Looking really good Splinter.!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

splinterz25
19th October 2017, 04:13 AM
Thank you artme and Brendan I thought I would step it up a notch w/ the threw piercing the more I work on this the more I'm leaning towards ebonizing the back ground where it's not piercing threw and lightly - slightly staining the leafs & acorns natural reds & browns.

Bruce

splinterz25
20th October 2017, 06:04 AM
Hello again everyone Well I put a few more hours into the roughing out process and finished the piercing part of this project, now it's on the the fine details and sanding. Here's what she's looking like now.

Bruce

artme
22nd October 2017, 09:08 AM
That is looking very good indeed sire!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Have you had any "Üh oh! " moments?

Hardenfast
22nd October 2017, 11:03 AM
Beautiful piece. Nice combination of skills to create a one-of collectible.

splinterz25
22nd October 2017, 10:27 PM
Thank you Very Much hardenfast & artme No Uh Oh moments yet: Well the carving is complete and sanding is mostly finished up to 220 grit so far, here's what shes looking like now.

Bruce

splinterz25
24th October 2017, 04:16 PM
Hello everyone I was able to get some varnish on this project and still may add another coat but here's what she looks like now.

Bruce

tony_A
24th October 2017, 07:36 PM
I think you have done a really good job with the carving and the overall effect looks great. Bit hard to tell from a photo but if you think it needs a light sand and another coat of varnish, don't settle for less than a 100% result with the finish.

Tony

splinterz25
26th October 2017, 02:29 AM
I think you have done a really good job with the carving and the overall effect looks great. Bit hard to tell from a photo but if you think it needs a light sand and another coat of varnish, don't settle for less than a 100% result with the finish.

TonyThanks Tony....I'm using steal wool and then adding a light coat to bring back the shine, hopefully this will give it a nicer look.

Bruce