PDA

View Full Version : Best hand held nail locator please.

Bob Wemm
20th October 2017, 07:33 PM
Hi Guys and Gals,
There is probably this info here already but I cannot find it.
The Kalbarri Men's Shed is looking for a hand held nail detector so we don't bugger our nice new Planer/Thicknesser.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Bob Wemm.

BobL
20th October 2017, 07:43 PM
Our shed and I have a carbtech detector
https://www.carbatec.com.au/workshop-accessories/moisture-meters-and-metal-detect/metal-detector-with-carry-bag

There's no problem with the detector, the problems
- getting the members to bother to use it and
- getting them to use it properly - slowly and carefully - not on top of the thicknesser, and after removing a mm or two of wood, look again for bits of metal.
One of our members have gone through out timber stocks and turfed out anything that even looks like it has nails in it.
This will probably save more agro than the detector.

A while back I looked into the guts of metal detectors. There are lots of hoary claims which are basically bollocks and from what I was able to glean they all used the same basic circuit - just packaged into different shapes and sizes. The security type detectors are not as sensitive because they are looking for weapon size objects.

Lappa
20th October 2017, 08:07 PM
I use one from Wizard Proucts - Little Wizard Metal Detector. As BobL says, slow and steady and recheck at intervals.

cava
20th October 2017, 09:35 PM
Early this year I had a need for a detector and bought a $14 one inc delivery from HK. The delivery time was circa 21 days from memory. During this period I had an urgent need for one and went to Carbatec to buy it. It cost $80 plus my time, fuel etc to get there and back.

The upshot was, they are effectively identical visually and operate the same!

GJM400b
15th March 2018, 12:12 AM
Hi Cava,
Do you have a brand/model number (or an eBay supplier) for the HK version?

Greg

Regdop
15th March 2018, 10:14 AM
Hi Cava,

Greg

I found this......https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/134mm-Metal-Detector-Folding-High-Sensitivity-Hand-Held-Check-Electric-Finder/282771004748?epid=4011314318&hash=item41d6771d4c:g:bSoAAOSwDEtaMIGC

cava
15th March 2018, 10:53 AM
Hi Cava,

Greg

Visually the metal detector is effectively the same as the one that Carbatec sells with the ring sensor.

happeyleuckky is the eBay seller that I bought from.

Hope this helps.

George

tonzeyd
15th March 2018, 11:40 AM
I too have the Carbatec's metal detector and agree with Bob's comments. The "best hand held dectector" is one that gets used.

I have tested mine and have found that they do have quite a limited depth of penetration, i suspect <1cm (depends on wood) so if you're planing/thicknessing more than a few mm its a good idea to recheck every now and then. If you're re-sawing then inspect the wood for nail/screw holes before sawing.

Also like every test equipment,before use test it and make sure they work before relying on it. its a simple case of scanning an object with a known metal object embedded.

qwertyu
16th March 2018, 01:20 PM
Any thoughts on these?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Handheld-Security-Metal-Sensor-Detector-Wand-Holster-HandHeld-Sounder-Scanner-WB/282820898995?hash=item41d97070b3:m:mq83e8fOzOkBfyhrhAOVHcA

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Metal-Detector-Pin-Pointer-With-LED-Indicator-and-Vibrate/252169026402?epid=2126471959&hash=item3ab671fb62:g:w10AAOSwcdBWRXH5

markinoz
16th March 2018, 02:51 PM
Just reading through this and wondering whether a stud finder set to metal detect would do the job any better. I have a Bosch unit that's a classic to get right as a stud finder but it could/should work for nails. Will try it over the weekend

Bohdan
16th March 2018, 03:38 PM
The problem with all small metal detectors is that you have to have them near the nail to find it. The larger the detecting coil is, the better the chance that it will have the nail within its locating zone.

The best would probably be a coil that you have to pass the timber thru it, as it would guarantee that the metal is within the coil.

My preference is a rare earth magnet hung on a long thread above the timber. As you move (zig zag) the timber past the magnet any metal will cause the magnet to deflect.

elanjacobs
16th March 2018, 04:37 PM
We have a Garrett Super Scanner at work (the one you see at airport security) and it does a pretty good job; we can't use it on the floor as it tends to pick up the rebar in the slab :rolleyes:. Not cheap though...

qwertyu
16th March 2018, 07:14 PM
The problem with all small metal detectors is that you have to have them near the nail to find it. The larger the detecting coil is, the better the chance that it will have the nail within its locating zone.

The best would probably be a coil that you have to pass the timber thru it, as it would guarantee that the metal is within the coil.

My preference is a rare earth magnet hung on a long thread above the timber. As you move (zig zag) the timber past the magnet any metal will cause the magnet to deflect.

How deep can a rare earth magnet detect?

bueller
16th March 2018, 07:26 PM
How deep can a rare earth magnet detect?

Depends on the size of the magnet. Sky is the limit but past a certain size they get quite expensive and quite dangerous.

qwertyu
16th March 2018, 09:29 PM
do you have a recommendation on which I should look at that is suitable for what we are doing here?

Damon90
17th March 2018, 09:45 AM
Just reading through this and wondering whether a stud finder set to metal detect would do the job any better. I have a Bosch unit that's a classic to get right as a stud finder but it could/should work for nails. Will try it over the weekend

This is what I use. It detects my saw horse legs through 2 bits of 45mm timber. And if I was using it on the ground it was detecting mesh in the concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dejure
24th March 2018, 04:14 AM
I use a Wizard too. You have to avoid setting the wood on a chair or ANYTHING else with metal in it because it will go through 6" pieces of wood and pick up the screws, nails and so on in the item on which the wood is resting.

When the batteries get low, you'll have to calibrate it every time you use it, so, when in doubt, swap the batteries out.

You don't even want to calibrate it within a couple feet of your cabinet saw or other significant source of metal.

I use one from Wizard Proucts - Little Wizard Metal Detector. As BobL says, slow and steady and recheck at intervals.

Robson Valley
24th March 2018, 04:55 AM
Little Wizard. We have to use nontoxic shot to hunt migratory waterfowl such as Canada geese.
Most hunters are using steel shot, BBB for example. Biting one of those at dinner is bad form.
The Little Wizard finds them all doing meat prep. Down to #2 steel shot in ducks as well.
Finding nails in walls/stud finder should work very well.

Prle77
25th March 2018, 06:53 PM
I've bought one from Ebay,, looked identical to the carbatech one... it has variable sensitivity.. .at the highest it detect rebar from the slab when the detector is located about 150mm above slab. And thats with the 50mm timber in between...
as a caution i still do detection on both sides of the timber... quite happy with the investment...already saved my blade several times..

bueller
25th March 2018, 07:05 PM
We have a Garrett Super Scanner at work (the one you see at airport security) and it does a pretty good job; we can't use it on the floor as it tends to pick up the rebar in the slab :rolleyes:. Not cheap though...

Actually picked one of these up off eBay this week for a little over a hundred bucks, thanks for the recommendation mate!

BrentonH
11th June 2019, 11:05 AM
Hi all.
Im about to try to denail some Douglas Fir I have had for many years. It came out of the roof of an old wharf shed in Port Adelaide. 90 x 190 it measures. Ive been reading about metal detectors and for $20 ill get the cheap one and give a small piece a thorough going over. i am also looking for someone in the local area who can slice it up for me. Any contacts would be much appreciated.

Lappa
11th June 2019, 07:24 PM
Unfortunately, most people are reluctant to process other people’s used timber because of the chance of hitting nails or blunting tools due to grit etc.
A $20 metal detector doesn’t give me a lot of confidence either - can you post which one you are looking at. I bought a cheap one and that was $45.
Hope you can find someone.

elanjacobs
11th June 2019, 07:29 PM
We used to have a recycled surcharge. Also, we NEVER trusted de-nailed timber, every piece was checked again regardless of the source

danimac85
11th June 2019, 09:06 PM
Adelaide and rural salvage may cut it up for you. They do all sorts of milling there now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ian K Watts
15th June 2019, 01:25 PM
I'd back what you have said. I'm also at a Men's Shed and we use the Carbatec one without any problems.

AlexS
16th June 2019, 06:08 PM
I've found that any plane will find remnant metal.:(