PDA

View Full Version : Tile importer's hardwood

qwertyu
23rd October 2017, 10:08 PM
Anyone ever buy "DAR Hardwood" from Tile importer (in Oakleigh/Melb)? I bought some over the weekend, it is some sort of Australian gum variety - its very light and most of the boards have a distinct pink colour. I suppose if it was Vic ash it would be Alpine or Mountain ash - but I've never seen it so pink before. Most of the tassie oak I've seen is a tea colour and most of the Vic Ash I've seen is pale tea or pale yellow. (though I'm new to wood working). I remember they use to advertise they sold 'silvertop ash' - not sure if it could be that too. When I google image search these timbers they all look essentially the same

My photo of it sucks - looks pale brown/straw on the photo but in person it is very pink

For those interested in going to tile importer for their timber - most of the stock was standard grade and all boards had some gum veins - I spend ages there looking for a suitable board (I wanted minimal gum veins as making a picture frame) but in general they are pretty straight. I bought 32x185 DAR for $19 /m

Enfield Guy
23rd October 2017, 10:30 PM
Vic Ash, Tas Oak, same same, pretty much. The pink will tone done fairly shortly, particularly if exposed to direct sunlight.

qwertyu
24th October 2017, 01:17 PM
Vic Ash, Tas Oak, same same, pretty much. The pink will tone done fairly shortly, particularly if exposed to direct sunlight.

I see - my next question was how to hide it! can it still loose its pinkness after i've applied poly? I would like to apply it ASAP so I can put pictures in the frames

edit: also, it would be fully fried yeah?

Toymaker Len
24th October 2017, 05:01 PM
Flooded Gum (E. Grandis) often looks very pink and it also looks very much like the Tas Oak species.