PDA

View Full Version : Saw Bench - Lose protractor guide

Little Festo
5th April 2002, 10:01 AM
Hello,

The protractor on my Series 2000 saw bench has a "bit" of sideways movement so I'm haveing a few problems maintaing a square cut.

Is there a fix for this. It's a degree or two, not a lot but enough to be a problem.

All the best - Little Feto (Peter)

barrysumpter
7th April 2002, 08:15 PM
Hi Peter,

The protractor Slide Strip flanges are probably worn enough to allow your protractor to twist slightly.

Use a large screw driver and hammer to slightly wedge open the flages on the Slide Strip.

Keep trying until you get a tight slide.

Be sure to move the protactor away from the mounting slots on the tables protractor channel when testing the twist or the slide.

If it slides but takes too much strength to push then keep sliding the protractor up and down the channel until the flages are slightly worn where the sliding is easier. You can also use a file on the flages to hurry the wear.

I believe there is a flang at the top and a flang at the bottom of the protractor slide strip. Once the protractor is monted fully in the channel (again away from the mounting slots), have a close look at the protractor while twisting it.

If the top moves then adjust the top flang.

If the bottom moves then adjust the bottom flang.

Now once you've got the protractor sliding properly and the twist eliminated, be sure the re-centre the protractor on the 45 mark.

Be sure to use a builders square against the blade and against the base (long end) of the protactor to square it up.

Pressed metal gives slightly. So if you can get the protractor stable enought to only twist a quarter millimeter or so then its probably the best you can expect.

Otherwise, you might consider replacing the Slide Strip. The last time I bought some I think they were about $4.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 07 April 2002).]

Little Festo
9th April 2002, 09:49 AM
Barry,

I did as you instructed and it has fixed the problem.
Thanks for you help.

Peter

RETIRED
9th April 2002, 07:47 PM
Barry, I hope you get good renumeration or commission on what you sell for Triton. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

kazuy
11th June 2002, 10:28 PM
Barry,

where do you get those slide strips from? I broke mine trying to open it up. I managed to get my protractor to move less than 1/2 degree! Is this good? I have found when doing 45 degree cuts the inaccuracy adds up to frustration; so much I bought a drop saw yesterday.

thanks

Originally posted by barrysumpter:
Hi Peter,

The protractor Slide Strip flanges are probably worn enough to allow your protractor to twist slightly.

Use a large screw driver and hammer to slightly wedge open the flages on the Slide Strip.

Keep trying until you get a tight slide.

Be sure to move the protactor away from the mounting slots on the tables protractor channel when testing the twist or the slide.

If it slides but takes too much strength to push then keep sliding the protractor up and down the channel until the flages are slightly worn where the sliding is easier. You can also use a file on the flages to hurry the wear.

I believe there is a flang at the top and a flang at the bottom of the protractor slide strip. Once the protractor is monted fully in the channel (again away from the mounting slots), have a close look at the protractor while twisting it.

If the top moves then adjust the top flang.

If the bottom moves then adjust the bottom flang.

Now once you've got the protractor sliding properly and the twist eliminated, be sure the re-centre the protractor on the 45 mark.

Be sure to use a builders square against the blade and against the base (long end) of the protactor to square it up.

Pressed metal gives slightly. So if you can get the protractor stable enought to only twist a quarter millimeter or so then its probably the best you can expect.

Otherwise, you might consider replacing the Slide Strip. The last time I bought some I think they were about $4.