PDA

View Full Version : Starrett combination square for sale.

Robert WA
24th September 2005, 08:12 PM
Only a half hour to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/STARRETT-COMBINATION-SET_W0QQitemZ7547280302QQcategoryZ105830QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wood Butcher
24th September 2005, 08:30 PM
$102.50. I think i will give it a miss.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th September 2005, 09:31 PM
Closed @ $113.15 after only 9 bids. Somone really wanted it!

Has me beat why the odd bids tendered though... $X & 15 cents?? Don't use e-bay myself... is this auto-adding their margin or is that another expense again? :confused:

javali
24th September 2005, 11:47 PM
Has me beat why the odd bids tendered though... $X & 15 cents?? Don't use e-bay myself... is this auto-adding their margin or is that another expense again? :confused:
Some bidders add a few cents to their bids as a tie breaker. When two bidders bid the same amount, the first to bid wins. By adding a few cents, bidders can increase the chances of winnings.

Waldo
24th September 2005, 11:55 PM
G'day Skew ChiDAMN!,

Further to Javali's post. On ebay you can set it so you make automatic bids up to a certain amount of your choosing.

Someone else posts a bid at x and you make an automatic bid at y until you reach your limit. And sometimes it is a bid at a unique amount that'll win the bid eg. $10.53 when x is only prepared to bid to $10.50.

derekcohen
25th September 2005, 01:13 AM
Guys

Whoever bought that Starrett set got a terrific bargain! It retails for over $500.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Robert WA
25th September 2005, 01:25 AM
Derek.
Mine cost me under $400, inclusive of delivery, from Lee Valley and they threw in a metric ruler as well as the imperial one. Good people to do business with.
As you say, someone got a bargain.
Rob

outback
25th September 2005, 10:03 AM
I wish I'd found this earlier, he'd woulda paid a heap more than 113 bucks. These suckers never come up in Aus, rarely in mm and not too ofetn a complete set in such good nick.

Well done to whom ever bought it.

soundman
25th September 2005, 08:10 PM
Hell you'd have to be keen to spend that sort of cash on a combo square set. I hear they are very nice. Too mice for my pocket.

The odd bid ammounts thing is a very old trick. Shhhh its a secret.
Never bid even amounts. All it takes to win is 1 extra cent than the other guy.
I used to do that with the old sale by tender that telecom stores ran for disposal of surplus. It pays off.
cheers

markharrison
25th September 2005, 08:48 PM
I bought a second hand set (imperial only) from a dealer in Sydney for $120. As Derek said, this is a very good deal.

Once you have had one you will understand why they are worth it. It's probably the last square I will need to buy.

I've had cheap combo squares and they are cr*p!

javali
25th September 2005, 09:15 PM
I wish I'd found this earlier, he'd woulda paid a heap more than 113 bucks. .

I do not know what size of heap you had in mind, but you can get a new (imperial) set from Lee-Valley for US $149. If the price is OK for you, you might want to ask them about a metric set.

Pete J
26th September 2005, 12:07 PM
I do not know what size of heap you had in mind, but you can get a new (imperial) set from Lee-Valley for US $149. If the price is OK for you, you might want to ask them about a metric set.

They will sell you the metric set for the same price, but need to order it in.

Termite
26th September 2005, 12:39 PM
As I've stated in a previous post, off ebay I picked up a brand new set, metric with cast steel heads and the satin chrome rule, landed here at my place for A$176.00. :D

outback
26th September 2005, 12:51 PM
As I've stated in a previous post, off ebay I picked up a brand new set, metric with cast steel heads and the satin chrome rule, landed here at my place for A$176.00. :D

Yes, and I wish you'd stop reminding me, over and over and over. :D

Termite
26th September 2005, 02:18 PM
Yes, and I wish you'd stop reminding me, over and over and over. :D
It's the only gloat I've got. :D

TassieKiwi
19th October 2005, 01:31 PM
It's the only gloat I've got. :D

I've got one too now - just scored the similar 4-piece set from Brown and Sharpe for $111 on ebay.:D