PDA

View Full Version : Sliding extension table

Jock_Jock
23rd June 2002, 08:54 PM
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum but have been using a Triton since the early mark 3 days. I am considering purchasing a sliding extension table but don't know anyone who has one. I was wondering what they are like for
1. Accuracy during cuts
2. Accuracy after repeated setup and dismantling.

Also what is the going price at the large retailers around the place?
Any advice greatfully accepted.
Cheers
Jock_Jock

zathras
23rd June 2002, 09:09 PM
Jock^2

I foolishly bought an extension table direct from triton shortly after the sliding job was introduced.

Let me say it is good for an extra benchtop, damn difficult to adjust the fence accurately http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

After that purchase wore off, I finally succumbed to a sliding table, especially after the new revision came out that handles a full 4' cut.

Let me say the sliding version gets more use than the predecesor and I've only had it 6 odd months!

As with anything triton, test your rig before you cut if precision is required.

Cheers Ray

DPB
24th June 2002, 10:15 AM
I've been using the current Workbench model with a Triton sliding extension table for almost a year. Works a treat http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif and is very accurate. Obviously, I need to check this from time to time, but I believe this to be true of any equipment.

As a matter of fact, I prefer to use the extension table for most of the cross cutting I do rather than converting the Workbench to the cross-cut mode.

------------------

Justin
25th June 2002, 08:54 PM
I've used the sliding extension table with both the MK3 and my new Series 2000.

Very happy with it, and I'm surprised that something so simple works so well. It's very easy to set up and pack up. During my renovations it's been absoloutely invaluable for handling large pieces of timber and sheetgoods.

One tip I would give is to make sure your slide rails are clean and free from sawdust before you begin a session. I usually just wipe them with a rag that's been sprayed with WD40, this way you dont get any "stiction" when you are in the middle of a cut.

And to actually answer your questions :

Cut accuracy is good, with less than a millimetre runout over quite a long rip, and repeatability after multiple packup and setup sessions is not a problem. As another respondee noted, with all triton gear there's just a bit of checking that needs to be done before each session. With the sliding table I've gotten into the disclipine of checking for squareness and parallelism as part of every time I set it up, really it's just a minor part of the setup.

HTH,

Justin.

[This message has been edited by Justin (edited 25 June 2002).]

Biggles
25th June 2002, 11:07 PM
I've been using the sliding table for about 12 mths and it is reasonably accurate as the others have said.I've found for a quick set up for the fence I use a good carpenters square and check across the measurements on front and back of the sliding table from fence .This gives an ok square over smaller pieces . Remember to check b4 u cut your final piece. (remember measure twice-cut once!!!)
One thing! its annoying to have to change it to a ripping fence and back if u are cutting a fair bit of varying pieces tho! ... Anyway good luck