PDA

View Full Version : Toy wheel help needed

cava
6th November 2017, 12:00 AM
Hi All,

I am not a turner, however I am trying to get into toys.

I have a need to drill 3-4mm holes in 20mm and 30mm dowelling, which will be used as wheels for a couple of small toys. Whilst I can use a drill press (which is my fallback position) I would prefer to make sure that the axle holes are uniformly centred to prevent lopsided use. Larger wheels are no issue as the axle holes can be larger, but it is the smaller wheels that are a concern.

The dowels are circa 120-150mm long and I would just slice them for wheels as required.

The question is, do we have any turners on the Mornington Peninsula, that would care to give this a go and lend a hand? Naturally payment is offered.

Thanks all.

George

plt43
6th November 2017, 06:46 AM
Hi George,
Will pm you with a phone number - I (or another member of Peninsula Woodturners) would be happy to help.
cheers
phil

cava
6th November 2017, 09:08 AM
Thanks Phil. Will contact you.

George

Treecycle
6th November 2017, 09:10 AM
You could try this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywESlxCG3-0) method by just hanging the jig over the edge of the table so your excess dowel can hang below the table.

mummatoni
6th November 2017, 10:53 AM
Hi All,

I have a need to drill 3-4mm holes in 20mm and 30mm dowelling, which will be used as wheels for a couple of small toys. Whilst I can use a drill press (which is my fallback position) I would prefer to make sure that the axle holes are uniformly centred to prevent lopsided use. Larger wheels are no issue as the axle holes can be larger, but it is the smaller wheels that are a concern.

The dowels are circa 120-150mm long and I would just slice them for wheels as required.

The question is, do we have any turners on the Mornington Peninsula, that would care to give this a go and lend a hand? Naturally payment is offered.

Thanks all.

GeorgeYou can buy wheels there not expensive at https://www.timbecon.com.au/wooden-parts/wooden-wheels
Hope that helps. I do want to add I have never used them so cannot vouch for their quality just remember seeing them when perusing their site only but thought perhaps was an option so shared. only just to clarify
Bye Toni Parker

keep on plugging away

crowie
6th November 2017, 12:32 PM
Email sent George with another possible supplier I've used, Cheers, Peter

woodPixel
6th November 2017, 02:11 PM
Cava, is it your intention to use a lathe for embellishment, for if it isn't, I've a few good ideas on how to use a drill press and jig for doing this kind of thing.

Some time ago a client asked for 500 wheels and I needed a super fast, super accurate way to add such things (like the holes on truck rims)

let me find the Sketchups and post them.

smiife
6th November 2017, 08:01 PM
Hi All,

Thanks all.

George

Hi george , have you thought about using a hole saw bit In the
Drill press ? gives you a perfect circle and hole In the middle !
I think you can buy 20mm and 30mm ones ........
Just a thought , hope It helps:2tsup:

cava
6th November 2017, 08:56 PM
Hi george , have you thought about using a hole saw bit In the
Drill press ? gives you a perfect circle and hole In the middle !
I think you can buy 20mm and 30mm ones ........
Just a thought , hope It helps:2tsup:
The issue is that the pilot hole in the hole saw that I have, is too large for the axle that I want to use.

The smallest hole saw drill bit that I have seen is circa 6mm, and I need/want something closer to 3-4mm.

TinyTool
6th November 2017, 09:02 PM
Have you tried replacing the centre drill bit (usually 1/4 inch) with an impact driver drill bit? Impact driver drill bits have the hexagonal (?) shank which fits neat as a pin into the hole saw centre. You can get the driver bits down to 2 mm.

Treecycle
7th November 2017, 01:13 PM
I think you will find the hex is 1/4" A/F and therefore won't go in the hole for the 1/4" drill.

TinyTool
7th November 2017, 08:23 PM
Your quite correct Treecycle. After reading your post I checked my holesaw arbor and realised I have, at some time in the past, widened the centre drill hole to accommodate Impact Driver bits. My apologies to anyone who may have been misled.

cava
13th November 2017, 12:47 PM
Hi George,
Will pm you with a phone number - I (or another member of Peninsula Woodturners) would be happy to help.
cheers
phil
Thanks Phil - one happy chappy. :D