View Full Version : Is 'Kitchen Bench' suitable for Study

Ivan in Oz
25th September 2005, 06:02 AM
I asked this in the 'incorrect' section :o :o
anyone want to put me Straight

This is out of my 'Comfort Zone'!!
so I'll throw a few Qs at you lot.
I'm looking to put a bench along one side of a Room, in the 'to be' Study :D
Kids call it the Play room :mad: Humph!!!!

I'd like the bench to be the full length of the room, about 480cm, Is that OK?

An assembled DIY "flat pack" with door(s) in each corner,
and one in the middle. What widths [Lengths] for these do you suggest????
with Voids between them. [Study area with room for Legs]
Then the Benchtop the full length of the wall, 480cm.

Anything to be aware of, or look out for?
Where to try for the DIY "flat packs" other that Yellow Pages,
Are the DIYs "flat packs" the way to go?
Probably in 'Sterile' white :o
Ditto for the Benchtop.

Is 480cm to long????.........Joins??...... What? How? Where?

Oh!! Do I tile before or after the benches go in?

I'm in;...........sorry, I'm near Toowoomba, SEQld
Anyone on board do this/make these, who is in Toowoomba???

seriph1
26th September 2005, 10:06 AM
I too am going to "bench" a home office space because I am a messy bugger. I think it is a very practical solution to your problem. The things to look at which spring to mind for me are: a 4.8 mtr opening cannot be filled with a 4.8 metre piece of stuff - this has to do with parallelograms and material sizes. Basically a join will have to go in somewhere as well as allowance for out-of-square/plumb walls. Also, it is likely your "back" wall will not be straight so a backing piece will possibly be needed to finish it nicely and disguise an anomolies. THe drawer sets can be off-the-shelf items and perhaps come from a Frredom or similar if more cost effective. Lighting above work areas like this is tremedously important for young eyes (and old ones) who theoretically spend a lot of time studying. Ummmm....what else? ........ bench depth - while the height will be the same as the family's dining table, the depth of the benches could be anything from 600 to 900 - I lean toward 750 and have been getting quotes on that size, but I think it will come down to personal perference and space - not only physical space, but how much the thing impacts on the space you have it in.

have fun

Sturdee
26th September 2005, 06:09 PM
Ivan, I built a bench like that for my old study, when I was working from home, and it was great to be able to leave one set of books on the desk and work on another set on the other side. But that was before computers so now I don't need that any longer. :D

The 3 ordinary flat packs will do fine and with melamine sheets( which I used ) usually being 2422mm long 2 sheets with a join in the middle is fine.

In addition what Steve said I suggest that you support the bench with a timber frame and instead of scribing against the back wall you can use quad or a long row of upright pidgeon shelf to keep pens, papers etc. handy.

BTW Bunnings sell flatpacks or already assembled units that would be suitable.

Peter.

Ivan in Oz
27th September 2005, 11:07 PM
Ta Guys,
Looks like I'm on the right track. :cool:
All my power points {GPOs} are just below 1200mm Height and Light Switches are above 1350mm.,
This works for me. :D
Might throw in some more down lights, with switching close to the Bench.

Freedom, Hmmm? That's a 6pack and cut lunch to Brisvagas
I'll try local and go from there. There are some Cabinet makers, even out here in the Outback. But not for 'Flatpacks', Swallow my pride and Bunnings it AFTER I try the Local and give them an opportunity.
Join in the top was expected; Thinking of a recessed Perimeter frame for support and to give it a GOOD edge at the front. What timber should I use? plenty of Cypress out here.
What are the options for the Benchtop joining? I imagined something like a "H" section [Slightly recessed to be flat and not proud?]

maglite
27th September 2005, 11:39 PM
Ivan,

You could also try IKEA, they deliver anywhere, they also provide "mix n match" plans that really help and give you plenty of time to sit and play builder.
My cousin did his new kitchen in a flatpack, using a plan sent to him in the post from them and he was a 4 hour drive from Perth.
He reckoned that it was the ducks n*ts even tho it didnt fit perfectly to the room, more to do with out of square walls and floors than with the stuff provided.
Worth considering.

Steve

Trav
28th September 2005, 10:50 AM
I reckon that if you approahc a local joiner, you will get a better job and a cheaper price than bunnings etc. Perhaps you could just purchase the cabinets of the joiner, and do the install yourself.

Trav

Ivan in Oz
28th September 2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks Trav Ppl,

Trav, that's the Way I'll most likely go.
A lot of the DIY Flatpack kits are only 400-450mm deep,
I am looking at 550-600mm Deep
[I'm a messy worker]
but Std Height

seriph1
28th September 2005, 11:21 AM
benchtop joiners should do the trick perfectly well - the maker will be able to supply them and prep. the top to take them.