PDA

View Full Version : WL-46A Lathe Clone

Brettles
10th November 2017, 05:32 PM
Hi guys.

Absolute beginner when it comes to lathes so please be gentle.

I picked up a WL-46A second hand for dirt cheap, but its missing some bits. Runs great though.
https://i.imgur.com/FgZlxLj.jpg
Most things I am fine to get but it seems like the tailstock doesnt match the lathe and is several inches too low.
MachineryHouse want $350 and 3 months to get a new one, do you guys have a better option?
Perhaps buying overseas or getting a riser for the one thats with it?
https://i.imgur.com/snjMYww.jpg<script async="" src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lyle
10th November 2017, 05:45 PM
Looks like a good pickup.
Personally I'd try a riser.
Try a local machinery workshop and see what they can do.
Shouldn't be too hard.
Also put out a want to buy in our for sale site.
Is the lathe forward/reverse? ? I think it is going on the photo.
Keep us posted.
Lyle

Brettles
10th November 2017, 05:53 PM
yep forward and reverse, got it for less than 10% of RRP

Treecycle
10th November 2017, 09:59 PM
The 3 items on the right don't look like they belong to that lathe. The lathe itself looks the same as mine which came from HAFCO and has a different banjo to yours.
If you were able to get a riser block made you would also need to extend the threaded bar that pulls the plate up to lock the tailstock to the bed.
The Jet lathe which these seem to be based on is very similar, so that might be another possible option for a tailstock.
Your riser would need to look something like the sketch below and be able to be locked to the tailstock in some way.

KBs PensNmore
10th November 2017, 10:30 PM
Brettles, where in Australia are you?? Asking, as if you're in Adelaide, I may be able to help you by either fabricating a new tailstock or a riser block.
Kryn

robyn2839
10th November 2017, 11:07 PM
Australia is a big place,would help if people knew where you live,I could help if you are in queensland

QC Inspector
11th November 2017, 06:47 AM
Making an assumption that you have other woodworking machines. You could fabricate the riser block out of a hard dense wood or even MDF and use it until you can track down a reasonably priced correct tailstock or you can have one made. If you are going to make a complete tailstock it would be very useful if you can make the quill threads long enough to drill deep, in the 4" to 6" range or more. Lathe designers never make them long enough.

Your other option would be to hunt down another lathe for the parts and for future spares. You could probably join the two beds together for turning long stuff like bed posts and porch columns.

Pete

Nubsnstubs
11th November 2017, 10:38 AM
just out of a bit of curiosity, why didn't you start you ruler on 0/zero, instead at the end. My poor old brain not only had to subtract, but had to do the conversion to find out that your lathe is labeled at a 16" swing, but in reality it's 16 1/2". The tailstock you have fits 11" lathes......... ............ Jerry (in Tucson) USA

Brettles
11th November 2017, 11:13 AM
In Newcastle unfortunately.

it was just one of those buys that it doesnt matter how many bits are missing that its still worth it.
$2-3000 machine for $250, couldnt say no.
Ill just have to keep and eye out for a while and source 2nd hand bits i think, i just dont have the income to go out buying new stuff for this unfortunately

Paul39
12th November 2017, 04:23 AM
Brettles,

Until you get the tail stock, what you have is a bowl lathe. Use a face plate and with a waste block glued on, or generous bowl blank, screw what will be the bottom to the face plate and make bowls with one mounting. Older turning books show the method. A face plate compared to a chuck is dirt cheap. Determine your spindle thread and ask turners. Those who have chucks don't use the face plate much or at all.

The articulated banjo for the tool rest looks a bit under built. It may be OK if there is enough metal in it. The ones provided with the really cheap Chinese lathes break easily. If the banjo without the articulated bit will hold the tool rest and give you enough reach, it should be fine.

Congratulations on your good deal. I have found with patience and constant looking, the right bits at the right price show up. Sometimes it takes years.

Treecycle
12th November 2017, 06:20 PM
This is what you should have as the original supply.