PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc sharpening system - small bowl gouge

rtyuiop
12th November 2017, 07:55 PM
Hi folks,

Acquired my first small bowl gouge (a 3/8" Thompson, love it!) - wondering if there's a good way to sharpen it with a fairly swept back grind on the Vicmarc sharpening setup, apart from trying my best freehand?

It's too small to hold in the jig...

Cheers,

Danny

Optimark
13th November 2017, 03:58 PM
When you say, "too small to hold in the jig," do you mean it is not long enough and the flat section turns to a round section where you would normally clamp it in the jig?

I picked up a very worn (well used) and therefore short 9.5mm gouge. I filed a flat section on the top so that the 185 (now 186) jig could hold it at I seem to think the 65mm setting. Giving the gouge a new lease on life.

Mick.

rtyuiop
13th November 2017, 06:53 PM
It's the other way around in this case - it's so small that it sits 'inside' the V of the clamping part of the jig.

I must admit that I didn't look at it long - I just decided to give it a quick sharpen freehand and moved on, I may just have to look at the jig more closely!

Pat
13th November 2017, 08:26 PM
"SmartA$$e Warning" . . . My 186 jig takes gouges from 2mm to 38mm . . .:q

NeilS
13th November 2017, 08:53 PM
"SmartA$$e Warning" . . . My 186 jig takes gouges from 2mm to 38mm . . .:q

Another "SmartA$$e reply" . . .

An aluminium sleeve with a slit to allow the sleeve to compress may work. Internal diameter close to that of the gouge. I have used similar to make use of an undersized tool post.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

rtyuiop
14th November 2017, 07:56 PM
Another "SmartA$$e reply" . . .

An aluminium sleeve with a slit to allow the sleeve to compress may work. Internal diameter close to that of the gouge. I have used similar to make use of an undersized tool post.

Yeah, I'm thinking I can make it even simpler - just a block of wood with a small strip to fit the flute would let the jig clamp down... And as a side benefit I can make the block and gouge together the same depth as my main bowl gouge, save screwing the clamp up and down!

NeilS
20th May 2018, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking I can make it even simpler - just a block of wood with a small strip to fit the flute would let the jig clamp down... And as a side benefit I can make the block and gouge together the same depth as my main bowl gouge, save screwing the clamp up and down!Danny, what was your final solution?

If I remember correctly, my Thompson 3/8" held OK in the VM jig, but not a 1/4" detail gouge.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

rtyuiop
21st May 2018, 07:24 AM
I actually ended up freehanding my only gouge that is small enough to not fit the jig, so never got around to trying out my planned solution (a small wooden 'adaptor' with a slot to fit the jig and then a small protrusion to fit the gouge).

I'm not skilled enough to freehand my big gouges but it seems way easier with the tiny one!