PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Sponges

John Saxton
16th April 2001, 08:31 PM
Have any of you folk tried the sanding sponge in application to your turning?

I saw some of these in one of my local suppliers and have bought a couple of medium and fine grade to try out on awkward profiles.

So far I haven't got around to using them but they could be a good idea though the grit sizes which are not evident seem a litle severe particularly in the medium grade.

If you have used these can I please have some feedback because my local bloke will do a good bulk deal which would be good especially for my pocket!

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

ubeaut
17th April 2001, 08:55 AM
Never used them either Johnno but I would be very wary of them as I doubt the combination of heat (from friction) and sponge will be a very good one. I would also doubt that the abrasive grit will stay on the sponge for very long or give acutate cutting for details which is why I assume you got it.

I should add that I am not a big fan of steel wool or the Scotch Brite type abrasives on the lathe either, but I would think you would do better with some Webrax (Hermes Abrasives, Scotch Brite type pads) these at least have set grits and keep the grit pretty well on the pad.

Will be interested to find out how the sponges go on the lathe. Could make for a good piece in the Woodies Jokes forum.

Cheers - Neil

Shane Watson
17th April 2001, 09:49 AM
Basically, What Neil said.

I have used these sponges for years. Although not on the lathe, I tried but as Neil said they never conformed to tight detail, so either they didn't do the job right, or they ruined the detail. But I found there best use was for sanding between coats while polishing( off the lathe ). Turned table legs etc became a breeze to sand, but I have since gone back to steel wool and I no longer use the sponges anymore. Surprisingly the grit seemed to remain for quite some time using the sponges, usually I would be able to use them up until the sponge litterally fell apart.
I would say that you would probably have more luck with scotch brite, but if you have too or want to, I really dont think you'll get much better than good ole sandpaper for on the lathe work.
Actually my main reason for buying them was to sand the routered groove in modern kitchen doors that I was painting with 2-pac poly-u. They never really did the job 100%, so I went back to sandpaper. Although they are much easier on the fingers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

Cheers

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

John Saxton
17th April 2001, 08:05 PM
Thank you gentlemen for your responses.
Because I haven't seen these before I was in two minds about them but I guess you have answered my reservations.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Jeff
18th April 2001, 01:45 PM
Hey John, the real question about these sponges is: Have you tried turning one yet?
Actually, I have used them, and if they were free I would probably continue to do so, but I have alternatives that cost less and work as well or better for turning applications.

------------------
"Always cutting corners...!"

bos
18th April 2001, 06:28 PM
I have used the sponges for quite a bit of sanding on my lathe. I use them in two different applications.
For rough sanding, I use the sponge and the grit it comes with. Haven't worn the grit off of a pad yet. For fine sanding, I use the pad as a support for much finer grits than the pad. The grit of the pad holds the other paper in place, and conforms to different shapes much better than just paper alone. My fingers are much more comfortable after extensive sanding when they are cushioned from the wood by the pad.
Anyhow, that is how it goes here in Idaho. bos

------------------
Robert w. Bosworth

ptc
18th April 2001, 09:41 PM
never mind the square sponges.
try the rotary one with sponge and velcro with sanding discs.rotated by the turning
i picked one up at the Brisbane wood show last year. its the best thing since mouse traps followed by EEE Ultra shine and then finish.

------------------
p.t.c