PDA

View Full Version : Coloured Box

Dalboy
22nd November 2017, 05:34 AM
Again not very arty or difficult like many I have seen but the Pyrography machine did get used and took some time to do all of the dots, the Japanese writing was a quick job and took a fraction of the time I was going for a totally black finish but with the burnt dots giving the pot texture. Well I lightly sanded and liked the effect that was produced. I used spirit stain for the red and a gold guilt for the rest did not like the very bright gold so took that off and painted it red again with the spirit stain then re applied the gold letting the red show through which gave the desired effect.
This is the main reason for going into pyrography and that is to decorate my turnings I also do picture as i did with the praying hands in the bottom of a bowl.
It measures 4 3/4" X 2 1/4" from a piece of unknown wood

plt43
22nd November 2017, 06:19 AM
Very nice, but I have to ask - what does the writing say ?

Dalboy
22nd November 2017, 06:39 AM
Very nice, but I have to ask - what does the writing say ?

"Good Luck" in Japanese I just hope I got that right

crowie
22nd November 2017, 10:49 AM
Well done Derek, more clever innovative learning put into a beautifully turned piece... Cheers, Peter

Fumbler
23rd November 2017, 02:58 AM
I like way mucho. you really are an apt wood worker. I haven't seen a questionable piece yet. very impressed.

Keith_1
23rd November 2017, 10:12 PM
Beautiful work Derek:2tsup:

Very talented

Regards

Keith

Fumbler
24th November 2017, 01:12 AM
Del, I have to ask, how did you stop the dye from leeching into the surrounding wood. I'm guessing you taped off first, but how do you stop it from bleeding under or around the tape?

Richard

Dalboy
24th November 2017, 04:21 AM
Thank you everyone.

Richard I did the pyrography first starting with the symbols followed by the outline for the box and finally all the dots and I can tell you I was seeing spots in front of my eyes. The pyrographed lines for the box helped to stop bleeding, as you may know spirit stain is very thin and will bleed very readily so I dipped the brush in to it and wiped the brush on the side of the container to get as much off as possible, this still left quite a bit in the brush so brushed it over some newspaper until the majority was removed then applied it to the square starting away from the line to gauge how much stain was still in the brush working up to the line.
You will find that the burnt lines does a reasonable job of stopping the bleeding as long as there is not a lot of stain on the brush as described above.

Hope that is clear enough.

Something I learnt when painting model boats is that if you need to paint black over red is paint the red first when dry mask and cover the area that is to remain red along the line where the black starts paint another thin coat of the red this will creep under any small gaps when masking off when dry give the area that is to be black a very fine rub over and then paint the black after cleaning off the dust this should leave a very clean dividing line between the two colours

dai sensei
24th November 2017, 08:52 PM
Well done, I like the shape on finishing :cool::2tsup:

Fumbler
25th November 2017, 05:40 AM
Perfectly clear. thank you,