PDA

View Full Version : Vase

hughie
22nd November 2017, 11:27 AM
River Cooba or Acacia stenophylla with 15 concave spirals finished several coats of satin W.I.P. 200MM high by 170mm dia

Kidbee
22nd November 2017, 04:55 PM
Classy! Do you use an Arbortech carver for that type of work? I think your spirals all run from left to right. Is that because you are right handed? Never heard of that timber species. Have you used it often and where does it occur naturally? Hope these are not too many questions for you.

hughie
22nd November 2017, 06:00 PM
Classy! Do you use an Arbortech carver for that type of work? I think your spirals all run from left to right. Is that because you are right handed? Never heard of that timber species. Have you used it often and where does it occur naturally? Hope these are not too many questions for you.

Hi Kidbee, No, no Arbotec I carve by hand as to which they run I suppose it depends on where you start :U Its just the way I lay them out, I can lay them out the other way and I do occasionally.

Timber species. River Cooba or Acacia Stenophylla is reasonably wide spread. This particular piece is from the Central Highland of Queensland around Emerald. and is I think the last piece of a haul Pick up a couple years ago from a friend who lives in Emerald, heres his web site River Cooba (http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/rivercooba.htm)

further info
https://www.anbg.gov.au/cpbr/WfHC/Acacia-stenophylla/index.html

smiife
22nd November 2017, 07:18 PM
Hi hughie , very nice mate, well done beautiful vase!

powderpost
23rd November 2017, 02:36 PM
Another beautiful piece and well executed. :2tsup:

Jim

artme
23rd November 2017, 03:26 PM
Very nice Hughie!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Somewhere in my collection I have a couple of small slats of Cooba. In fact I had thought it was Booree
but there are so many acacias referred to as booree I will go with cooba as that is what the donator said it was!

brainstrust
23rd November 2017, 07:09 PM
outstanding, i can only dream of creating such beauty :)