PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a newbie

Ezra
26th September 2005, 01:45 PM
I have read several articles about pen turning and I would like to get started. If some of you guys could provide advice I would greatly appreciate it.

The first thing I need to purchase a lathe and I need some suggestions. I know that I will only be using it for small projects like pens and etc... I have know clue on what brand to even go with. I basically want something that is good quality and is going to last a long time. If you guys could provide some suggestions it would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ruffy
26th September 2005, 02:04 PM
Hi Ezra,

have aread of the this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=19315) it should answer a lot of your questions, then by all means ask if you want more..

bdar
26th September 2005, 10:33 PM
Hi Ezra,

Welcome to the foum, I hope you have a great time here. For small lathes for pen turning come to mind, Carb-a-tec's variable speed mini, Jet's mini, the Delta midi and Vicmarc's VL100. I have to say I am bias towards Vicmarc, they are just a solid little lathe. Six speed, 1/2 HP motor, no. 2 morse tapers in head and tail stock and it is cast iron construction. At the end of the day it will be price that will determine what you get. There are a lot of cheapies out there and I have known people have gone the way of the very cheap lathe and have been put off of turning. If you can save or have the $$$$ for a better class of lathe then do it. The initial outlay my cost but will pay for itself in the long run.

Cheers

Darren

Ezra
28th September 2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the infor it is much apreciated. It has given me some things to think about. It sounds like I might save a bit more and buy a bigger lathe. I did have a question about Craftsman Lathes. Would it be best to stay away from them? The top of the line is 15 inch and has a 2hp motor. It is roughly 40in between center and it has a cast iron base. The head also swivels for turning up to a 18 inch bowl.

bdar
28th September 2005, 10:58 PM
Hi Ezra,

The lathes I have mentioned are the small lathes for small scale turning, if you want to save and buy a bigger lathe that's great. I have a VL850 VicMarc, which is a large lathe and does the job I need. Would dearly love to have a VL100 for my pens, but I bought a Carb-a-Tec mini lathe before they ever made them. Even though I can and do turn pens on my big lathe, I always seem to favour the Carb-a-Tec. I haven't gone over the Craftsman lathe, but just some things to look for.

1: Check for alignment of the live center to drive dog (spur) push the tailstock right up to the headstock if the 2 points touch the alignment is good.

2: If there is a faceplate attatch it to the headstock grip with both hands and check for any movement in the bearings.

3: Wind out the tailstock to about 3/4 of it extension do not lock it off and check for any sideways movement, there shouldn't be.

4: Check to see if the head and tail spindles have a No. 1 or 2 morse taper so you can use mandrels for pen making and be able to drill your blanks.

5: See if your tool rest and tailstock use a cam lock or a locking nut, if it is the latter does the spanner provided fit correctly.

These are just some of the things I look at when I look at a lathe. The spec sound pretty good 2 HP motor, 40" between centers. As I said, I love the VicMarc and they have one being sold through Carb-a-tec in Brisbane, it is all done in Tiawan on a VicMarc design and are call Beavers. Hope this has helped some.

Cheers

Darren

Ezra
1st October 2005, 08:29 AM
Again thanks for all the advice. I am looking for some local vendors for the lathes mentioned above, so far no luck. When I decide and purchase my lathe it looks like I might have to order via the internet.

I did however find a local Woodturning Club in the area which I have contacted and joined. I plan on attending their monthly meeting. I feel that that would be benifical to see things first hand.

I also like this forum. Everyone has been most helpful. Look for me to continue to frequent here from time to time. I will let you guys know when I buy my lathe and I will post pictures of my first project.

soundman
4th October 2005, 10:42 PM
do youself a favour and check out the jet mini lathe. They are a great little lathe & good value. by the time you add the extention bed they end up going clase to the capacity of bigger uglier machines.
I know several people who have them and are very happy with. I'm happy with mine.
cheers