PDA

View Full Version : Overseas purchases - USA.

Drillit
30th November 2017, 10:05 AM
Hello All,
I am looking to purchase some (small) overseas items that need to come by sea freight.
I recall that some years ago, information was provided about ways and means to do this
through a Freight Forwarder is the US. (Shipito?) Can anyone provide up to date details
that I can examine and advise on experiences and costs (likely weight 5-8 kgs). Thanks for
any help. Drillit.

ian
30th November 2017, 03:25 PM
As far as I know, if the items are coming from the US, Surface mail is no longer an option.
If the items can't be sent by air mail, you may find that any savings will evaporate once you factor in the costs of sea freight.

the US postal service has a flat rate box option to Australia $95.95 USD,
Box size 23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" or 12" x 12" x 5-1/2" Maximum weight 20 pounds.

Midnight Man
30th November 2017, 11:56 PM
I have heard in some circles that Shipitto is no longer what is was in terms of service and price - though I cannot speak for certain as I've not dealt with them myself.

I have used a different freight forwarder - US to Oz (US to OZ - Shipping to Australia (http://www.ustooz.com)) - this is a small business, owner runs the show and truly provides great service (is an expat Aussie living in USA).

Their site will let you calculate costs, and they will give you a few options for your shipment, including the ability to combine shipping and so forth.

No affiliation other than an extremely happy customer.

Drillit
1st December 2017, 09:47 AM
Thank you Ian. They have to come by sea freight as
apparently in Australia there is exclusion on any potential flammable type of
product by air freight. I understand that worldwide, Australia and NZ
have this rule, but not others? Anyways I will further explore and let everyone know.
My recall went back to when Brett? was ordering Thompson tools etc from US some
years ago? Regards, Drillit.

Drillit
1st December 2017, 09:51 AM
Thank you Midnight Man. I am pursuing this option. Seems like the go.
Very much appreciated. As I said to ian, I will publish for all in due course,
particularly costs/time etc. However, from the website they look like they
have had considerable experience in forwarding freight to Australia. Regards, Drillit.

woodPixel
1st December 2017, 11:23 AM
For a low cost option that is truly excellent try ShopAndShip - https://www.shopandship.com/

Lappa
1st December 2017, 11:33 AM
Thanks for that Woodpixel. After looking at the site and their “steps”, I would worry that if I buy an item - Step 3: then at Step 6 I receive a massive extra cost that I wasn’t aware of when buying.
I always like to know any additional costs up front before buying. Is there a way you can get a quote from them before buying?

Cheers

ubeaut
1st December 2017, 01:08 PM
any potential flammable type of product

What exactly are you bringing in. Paper is a potential flammable type of product but has no restrictions. If the product is flammable it will be classed as DG (Dangerous Goods) and will cause you or the shipper no end of grief if and when it hits Australian shores.

DG can be shipped by air but needs special packaging. We paid over $1,000 to ship 12 x 250ml bottles of Shellawax to our agent in Taiwan. USA isn't much better. No airlines will ship hazardous or dangerous goods without special packaging, even by sea it has to put into a specific DG Container on the ship away from others and away from other DG that might react with it if they were to meet in an accident.

Oils 'ain't oils and potentially flammable isn't necessarily flammable.

It's a little bit more complex than it appears on the surface. I'm speaking from experience as we ship DG all around the world.
I once asked FedEx what their criteria was to determine Flammability and was told 5 seconds in front of a blow torch. :o That's absolute garbage but that was their test and they said they would stick by it. Stupid criteria.

If you can get a UN Number for the product it will help you with flammable it is and from there you can find out how it can be shipped or packed for shipping, etc.

Just be warned almost every item coming into Australia is now subjected to strict scrutiny and it could be a very expensive exercise if it has been wrongly shipped.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil :U

PS Five seconds in front of a blow torch will set almost anything on fire 3 seconds sent me to hospital :burnt: for a week and off work, with daily visits from burns nurse to change dressings, for over a month and I still have problems with with burnt legs some 10 years later.

However I can travel on an aeroplane because I'm not really flammable I just crisp up on the BBQ.

ubeaut
1st December 2017, 01:10 PM
Just adding to the above.

Make sure whoever you get it sent through is fully aware of what is in the package being sent.

:U

Sawdust Maker
1st December 2017, 01:40 PM
My recall went back to when Brett? was ordering Thompson tools etc from US some
years ago? Regards, Drillit.

I did a couple of the Thompson orders and an intermediary wasn't required
Doug sent them straight over

PS I'm sure they didn't come by sea as they didn't take that long to get here

rob streeper
2nd December 2017, 06:03 AM
Just be warned almost every item coming into Australia is now subjected to strict scrutiny and it could be a very expensive exercise if it has been wrongly shipped.

Hi Niel,

I'm going to be shipping some stuff to Aus soon, do you know of an online source for additional information as to what exactly to do and not do?

Thanks,
Rob

ubeaut
2nd December 2017, 09:13 AM
Sorry.... Not meaning to be smart or anything here but people (this includes Drillit) need to stop being vague and say what it is they are having shipped or going to ship as the shipping could be as straight forward as going to the Post Office or as complex as hiring a freight forwarder or a number other different ways to ship between the 2 extremes.

It will all come down to a few basic things....

First & most important: What are you shipping? Tools, pamphlets/books, timber, dangerous goods, eg: paint, oils, volatile products, etc
Size: usually LxWxH to give cubic metre/meter
Weight: Mostly done in KG for Australia

Once you have all this info you then have something to work with. Without the most important bit nothing can be done legally. If you say it isn't dangerous goods and have even the smallest amount of volatile product in there the entire shipment can be in trouble if caught during screening and could cost the shipper a ship load of money in fines and worse.

EG: one of our suppliers had a very large consignment of lathes being shipped in a container. To save on freight he included a box of Shellawax with the shipment. This was picked up on a scan and cost the shipper a few thousand dollars as it made the entire shipment DG and they had to pay the DG surcharge plus fines and everything they shipped from then on was put on to a close scrutiny watch. At least two others have been banned from using the postal services for similar offences.

Hope this is of some help.

:U

woodPixel
2nd December 2017, 02:02 PM
It would be nice to know how to get volatile things here. I often have wanted to buy finishes from StuMac, Behlan or Rothko and Frost in the USA... guitar finishes, etc.

rob streeper
2nd December 2017, 03:03 PM
I've had a look at Aus govt. sources and what I've encountered is anything but clear on anything hazardous except firearms.

As to flammable and combustibles USPS does a decent job giving useful information: https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_021.htm

I recall Bushmiller had a problem with a finished wooden item inbound from USA recently.

Bushmiller
2nd December 2017, 03:38 PM
I can only speak with experience on freight forwarders regards Shipito. Midnight man is correct that it is not what it once was and this is for a couple of reasons. The first is no fault of Shipito. When I was first shipping the exchange rate was at parity with the US dollar so it was relatively easy to come to terms with the freight cost. However today the A$ in round figures only buys US$0.75. Makes everything look bad! That is the same for any freight company. My problem with Shipito ultimately was that their cheapest option for general goods had been removed and the cost of shipping increased by about 50%. Then there is a method they call the "Preferred Carrier." This fundamentally uses Australia Post, but only at the Aussie end of course.

This method was easily the cheapest, but excluded wood products: Not with Australia post, but with whoever Shipito used at the US end. The issue Rob Streeper referred to was where I had shipped metal and plastic goods including some files. My benevolent seller of files threw in a timber file handle for free. I got slugged for an extra $70! On reflection I should have instructed them to throw it away, but I did not think of that at the time. The Australia Post option is also limited to 20Kg

One point I should mention is that the forwarding companies really only come into their own when you are buying multiple goods from different sellers. There is the double advantage of collecting a number of parcels and then when they are sent the cost has been reduced as it is not a pro rata scale. For example, 1Kg might cost US$50, but 20Kg might be $250. This assumes that the forwarding company is prepared to remove surplus packaging and then re pack in a larger box to accommodate many goods. Shipito does do this, but there are small charges along the way. These reasons combined are why I have stopped using them.

Drillit, if you are buying several goods from the same company it will be cheaper to arrange shipping direct from them to you.

Lastly, do look carefully into the restricted goods. Some you may not have considered. For example, lithium batteries are an issue. You may be allowed to ship two lithium batteries but any more and it will be a NO! Do any of the purchased products have a lithium battery in them? Some digital gauges may come into this category.

Good luck.

Regards
Paul

rob streeper
3rd December 2017, 04:16 AM
Paul,

What caused the problem with the file handle? Wasn't it declared or was it due to the wood?

Thanks,
Rob

Bushmiller
3rd December 2017, 09:51 AM
Rob

The problem was both.

I did not know the handle had been thrown in as a freebee. I probably had twenty or thirty parcel sitting in storage at Shipito. The "Preferred Carrier" option was by far the cheapest so I selected all the goods that did not have a timber component for shipping with the "Preferred Carrier" method. This is bearing in mind that the majority of my purchases were vintage hand saws with timber handles so it was the smaller proportion of the stored items.

It was knocked back on shipping by the "Preferred Carrier" when they saw the file handle: Part of my instructions were to remove surplus packaging back to the original packaging, which in the case of the files would have been the manufacturer's box. The file handle was just loose. I was then asked to chose another method of shipping which increased the cost by US$70!

This all took place at Shipito: Not further down the freight track.

Regards
Paul

node105
3rd December 2017, 10:19 AM
Drillit

another option MIGHT be to use a purchase and ship service like PriceUSA, a local Oz company. Your goods may not fall within their normal sphere, but worth an enquiry I would think. I have used them a couple/few times and found them to be extremely responsive and communicative. They have locals in the US that do the purchase, inspect and ship. Those locals forward photos on receipt of the local delivery, so one can confirm condition and correct goods; again all very communicative.

https://www.priceusa.com.au/about.html

hiroller
4th December 2017, 05:42 PM
According to a message I got from Shipito today, they no longer send any wooden product to Australia.

This notification is to inform you that your mailout for package(s) EP has been cancelled by our admin for the following reason: We are not able to ship any wood or wooden items to Australia due to import regulations. All wooden items have additional documentation requirements and such items are subject to quarantine upon entry into Australia. Not only does the quarantine process delay shipments, substantial fees would be charged to Shipito for any shipment going through the quarantine and inspection process. Your mailout request has been cancelled. Therefore, you must decide between the following two options how you would like Shipito, LLC to dispose of the items in question: 1. Place a special request to have the specified items/parcel disposed. 2. Have the restricted item(s) returned to the merchant. To do this please submit a special request with a prepaid return shipping label and we will return the parcel on your behalf. The special request fee will be $5 USD and there will also be a processing fee of $2 USD applied. If you have any questions or concerns about shipping items in the future, please refer to our website for a listing of restricted and prohibited items or contact our team for additional assistance. If you have any questions about this cancellation, please contact customer support.

Bushmiller
4th December 2017, 08:35 PM
Gavin

That's disturbing news. Do we know whether this is factual and if it is whether it has been recently introduced? I might have to undertake some sleuthing; Not that I stand a chance of competing with you.

I hope this also is not too much of a problem with your purchases via Shipito. :(

Regards
Paul

hiroller
4th December 2017, 09:49 PM
Could be an issue for me. Will find out when they respond tonight.

hiroller
5th December 2017, 07:40 PM
Still haven't heard from Shipito but it seem that the Australian Government has tightened the import requirements as of Nov 29.
https://bicon.agriculture.gov.au/BiconWeb4.0/ImportConditions/Conditions?EvaluatableElementId=272795&Path=UNDEFINED&UserContext=External&EvaluationStateId=e9a1364b-7909-45fe-afc3-4bd051a14bd9&CaseElementPk=783930&EvaluationPhase=ImportDefinition&HasAlerts=True&IsAEP=False

ian
6th December 2017, 01:21 AM
Given that, I'd contact the department and ask the question. Handles attached to a tool (plane, saw, chisel, hammer, etc) and wooden planes would appear to be an oversight given what else is covered. A wooden plane has had more processing than a wooden plate.

Bushmiller
6th December 2017, 10:28 AM
This is a link to importation of restricted and banned goods.

Importing prohibited and restricted goods (http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Impo/Proh)

Regards
Paul

FenceFurniture
6th December 2017, 11:42 AM
Given that, I'd contact the department and ask the question. Handles attached to a tool (plane, saw, chisel, hammer, etc) and wooden planes would appear to be an oversight given what else is covered. A wooden plane has had more processing than a wooden plate.As a result of the other thread that is running (concerning importing wooden planes), I actually rang the Dept of Ag yesterday on 1800 900 090 and spoke to "Paul".

The bottom line is that common sense prevails. If you don't try to pull a shoofty on them, then they will be fair to you and your parcel will be delivered. Things like fees for inspections, fumigation etc are largely to do with commercial quantities.

So, looking at the link from Gavin, and running down the list:
a. No permit is required from Dept Ag
b. No insects or other biosecurity risks (soil, seeds, bark etc)
c. Highly processed wooden articles are easy peasy to get through legally (more on that in a minute)
d. As above
e. your package might be inspected
f. for commercial quantities only
g. pertains to container importing

So "Paul" and I discussed wooden planes (both new and used), and dried Chilli Powder which might come from, say aaahh, San Antonio Tx, which as I understand things is the home to some mighty fine red and green chilli powders. Eh Rob? :; :D

New wooden planes - no problem. Used wooden planes - no problem.
"Paul, one of our guys (Ian) raised the question of residual dust and shavings in used planes"
"No problem"
"What about mites or summink in the dust"
"No problem" (beats me)

So, and as I summarised in the other thread, you can get the sender to declare that there are "highly processed timber products/parts/components" in the package, and it will be inspected upon arrival, re-sealed and put back on the conveyor for delivery to you

OR

you can have nothing mentioned about timber, and the package will be X-rayed as a matter of course, and it will probably be inspected upon arrival (because the timber will show up), re-sealed and put back on the conveyor for delivery to you. There are no fines/fees for this. They may drop a form into the package to say that it has been opened for inspection (I guess so that you don't wonder why the packaging has been interfered with). I have seen such a form once or twice.

If they contact you for clarification of anything it can usually be resolved by emailing invoices or maybe a filled form.

We did not discuss what constitutes a highly processed timber item, but just use common sense.

With regard to Shipito:
Those who are familiar with them will know that is is run by (deleted deleted) people who are not necessarily the shiniest spoon in the drawer. A year or two ago they said that Australia Post would not carry timber items. One wonders how Mapleman has been getting away with it all these years. As we know, this is complete tosh, but Shipito hide behind their "agreement" with AP - this is just to make live easier for Shipito.

Fedex have bought out TNT and Fedex now refuse to carry boxes that have been consolidated. They do not have a problem carrying timber items - this again is just Shipito trying to make their own lives easier, rather than any perceived compliance. In fact, all they would have to do is make provision on the Customs Dec to tick a box "may contain highly finished timber items" and the whole problem would be solved.

Liquids (not flammable) used to be able to be sent by the more expensive DHL. I doubt that any flammable liquids can be air freighted.

NOTE: I am somewhat out of touch with Shipito, and have only sent one package in the last year or so because they are virtually useless to me now, with consolidation and timber restrictions. Maybe things have changed from my descriptions, but I don't recall being alerted by them.

FenceFurniture
6th December 2017, 11:47 AM
A wooden plane has had more processing than a wooden plate.Yes, but both qualify as "highly finished timber items". I suspect that even the piece of She Oak that I sent you a while back would qualify because it was sanded and oiled ("It's an ornament mate"). What did I describe it as? A candlestick? Where the customer drills his own hole?

EDIT: To clarify, I am of the opinion that "highly finished" in the case of timber means, no bark, not rough sawn - probably sanded, preferably finished with something but not necessarily (because bugs can eat through finish anyway). To illustrate, I believe that even one of Pac Man's bodgered (not bodgy) spoons would qualify as highly finished. It would be easily inspected and easily seen that there are no borers etc, and I think this is probably the overriding point - they don't really care how much craft has gone into it - they want to be able to rule out bugs.

Bushmiller
6th December 2017, 12:04 PM
Brett

You are right on the money with your assessment. Several times Shipito in the past said I could not ship timber goods and I would reply, yes I can and I have done. I would ask them to place a note on my file to this effect and they would agree, but then I would have to go through the same rigmarole the next time too. I contacted Australia post regarding prohibition of timber shipping. They told me it wasn't them. Speaking to Shipito they said it was the carrier their end. They did not tell me the name of the carrier.

On the current issue of total ban, I have phoned the dept of Ag this morning and they (Nicole this time) confirmed that "processed" timber, as in saw handles, is not a problem. I am currently waiting on customs (one hour so far) and posting on the Forums while I wait. I have gone from 10th caller in the queue to 2nd!

Regards
Paul

FenceFurniture
6th December 2017, 12:16 PM
I suspect that Customs will refer you back to Nicole. The only problem that I can foresee is if the sender won't write "highly finished timber items" on the Customs Dec. Even then it would seem that DeptAg (Dag?) take a pragmatic view - open, check, close move on.

Now if you had a really large box full of handles, and it was not declared....that might be different because it will take them quite some time to inspect it all, and they charge by the hour. For a quick inspection that takes between 1-5 minutes open to close I doubt they could be fagged raising the paperwork to bill you. Pragmatic, common sense.

Bushmiller
6th December 2017, 12:33 PM
Brett

I am confident three hand saws will not be an issue. The knife blanks may be an issue as the manufacturer's packaging was removed to save volume and weight. Notification by customs of a prohibited item can take up to thirty days apparently. :((

Regards
Paul

rob streeper
6th December 2017, 12:43 PM
:oo:.

As far as I know SA isn't the home of any particularly auspicious chile's, more like New Mexico and the Hatch chile's.

South Texas is more of a salsa/ pico de gallo area. 3X bunches of chopped cilantro, 2 X diced red bell peppers, 3 or 4 nice jalapeno's, a large yellow onion, juice of 5 medium limes and 2 lemons, salt to taste, season overnight in the fridge and serve with Julio's tortilla chips and margarita's. - um um

woodPixel
6th December 2017, 01:38 PM
This might be trivial, but I wrote to ComGateway and ShopAndShip and both have categorically said there is absolutely no prohibition on sending wooden items with their services.

They confirmed that blanks (I described them, size and what they were used for!) and veneers are of zero issue whatsoever.

Both are happy to assist.

FenceFurniture
6th December 2017, 02:20 PM
Yep, it's just Shipito rearranging the "t" and "p" in their name.

woodPixel
6th December 2017, 02:25 PM

Shipped Pot? :D

ian
6th December 2017, 02:52 PM
Shipped Pot? :D
you're forgetting your Mikado !

Glider
13th December 2017, 06:51 AM

You beat me to it, Brett. Spoonerisms.

mick :)

Drillit
13th December 2017, 09:06 AM
Thank you for all your advice and responses. In short the product is flammable
and cannot be sent by Air, hence Sea Freight. It also cannot be sourced in Australia, yet.
I will advise on the best option after further research. What prompted my inquiry was that
for a purchase of $100 US, the freight cost via Sea from the supplier was $700 US. So
I thought I could do better, eh. Drillit.

Midnight Man
13th December 2017, 06:09 PM
Thank you for all your advice and responses. In short the product is flammable
and cannot be sent by Air, hence Sea Freight. It also cannot be sourced in Australia, yet.
I will advise on the best option after further research. What prompted my inquiry was that
for a purchase of $100 US, the freight cost via Sea from the supplier was $700 US. So
I thought I could do better, eh. Drillit.

I have heard of whole shipping containers being bought to Australia from China for $2000, so unless your $100 of product is a huge bag filled with gas, this price sounds unreasonable.

Try reach out to Sarah over at US to OZ for a quote?

ian
13th December 2017, 06:19 PM
at that price, it sounds like you are being quoted LCL -- Less than Container Load -- for the shipping.

what is the product? the brains trust may be able to suggest a viable ship-able alternative.

Damon90
20th December 2017, 09:47 AM
hey midnight man - i dont know if it is applicable to shipping containers too, but AFAIK the Chinese government subsidises postage costs to boost their economy..

bsrlee
24th December 2017, 02:23 AM
Well, this discussion seems to have broken 'BICON' (is that short for BIgCON?) and its now 'down'. Wonder if it will get fixed before New Year?