PDA

View Full Version : Advice Required on Solid Doors

Hybrid
26th September 2005, 08:36 PM
I've just got back from my local Bunnings after looking for a few things including a new back door. I saw a door that looked okay but I am a little dubious over the quality considering the price was much cheaper than expected. The door in question is a solid door that has the top quarter glazed in the shape of a semi circle with the external side having six rectangles routed into it. The asking price is $145. Also door is made in Indonesia.

Now I know pretty much one tenth of bugger all when it comes to doors. Are these cheap imported doors okay or should I steer clear of them? Would I be well advised to spend more on a well known door like Hume or Corinithian or similar?

ozwinner
26th September 2005, 08:43 PM
Would I be well advised to spend more on a well known door like Hume or Corinithian or similar?

Also Made in Cheapistan??

Al :confused:

Auspiciousdna
26th September 2005, 09:07 PM
Try the trading post it's worked for me before!!!

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/browse.asp?State=NSW&sMsg=keywordsearch

Auspiciousdna
27th September 2005, 07:33 AM
And if you're going to be fixing the jamb yourself, your best bet is looking for a demolishing house sale in the paper, you can get choice joinery doors for a song.

savage
27th September 2005, 09:13 AM
I've just got back from my local Bunnings after looking for a few things including a new back door. I saw a door that looked okay but I am a little dubious over the quality considering the price was much cheaper than expected. The door in question is a solid door that has the top quarter glazed in the shape of a semi circle with the external side having six rectangles routed into it. The asking price is $145. Also door is made in Indonesia.

Now I know pretty much one tenth of bugger all when it comes to doors. Are these cheap imported doors okay or should I steer clear of them? Would I be well advised to spend more on a well known door like Hume or Corinithian or similar?

G'Day All, Good morning Al (cringing in fear)..:D
Try Hudsons, I just bought a really nice leadlight solid core door for 1/3 off normal retail, the guy told me they had a sale on doors and when it was over Hume doors continued to send out doors at the special price so they are passing the savings on to customers. Not sure where you are in "Syd" or if the special is at all stores, got mine at the Campbelltown store!....
savage.:)

bennylaird
27th September 2005, 09:19 AM
Any plans or guides to making your own solid door around?

Would love to make an old style double door with the full surrounds like in period houses. Have just the space for one but would have to remove the section of wall above in order to get the effect I'm after. ie panels either side and across the top.

Gaza
27th September 2005, 01:37 PM
most soild maple doors come in from O/S, they are a few good companes and bad ones too, if Bunnings is selling it then quality should be ok. Have a look for a brand called "Crown doors" they are sold though smaller outlets and are very good quality on soild doors.

NB; dont waste your time buying imported interal Redi coats they are rubbish pay the extra $2.00 or so and buy a Hume or Corthain

seriph1
27th September 2005, 10:07 PM
Bennylaird - where are you located? Doesnt say on the thing to the left.

Hybrid
29th September 2005, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I took Savage's advice and ventured down to my local Hudsons (Bonnyrigg is the closest one to me Savage). I found a nice Hume external door there. Price is winner too, only $110. It's got to be better than my current hollow core, weathered old thing.;)

savage
29th September 2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I took Savage's advice and ventured down to my local Hudsons (Bonnyrigg is the closest one to me Savage). I found a nice Hume external door there. Price is winner too, only $110. It's got to be better than my current hollow core, weathered old thing.;)

G'Day Hybrid,
I'm sure I speak for all on this forum, "Glad to be of help".:)
This place is full of all sorts of characters, and they are only too willing to help, as I have found out myself, and appreciate all information freely volunteered by the members.:)
savage(Eric)

bennylaird
30th September 2005, 08:39 AM
Bennylaird - where are you located? Doesnt say on the thing to the left.

Werribee, Vic will have to update it.

seriph1
30th September 2005, 09:05 AM
benny

in that case, I am in Kilmore - about 1.5 hours from you and have a couple of ideas that may be helpful.

We live in an 1880 home with the door youre talking about, but of course double doors are a more elaborate project and I am wondering what style/period youre thinking of copying. I have some books here that have doors and surrounds from all periods and can have a look through them for you when I get a better idea

Let me know if you want my number or something and we can talk about your double-door project.

have fun

bennylaird
30th September 2005, 09:26 AM
Thanks Steve

Have a few more projects around the house before I get to it but will post a pic of the existing set up showing how much room I have to play with, may have to stay with a single door after reflecting on the space available. House is an Italian style about 35 years old but is slowly changing. Just finished the kitchen and have to sort out some doors to the back porch, ( about a 12 x 5 metre covered area). Will remove a window and maybe use bay doors. Lots to do lol. Eventually want to bag the place but it's a big job.

seriph1
30th September 2005, 10:03 AM
sounds like fun! If youre wanting to retain the italian feel of the home, there are a range of things you can do to achieve this. I made a door last year which at first looked exactly like a Victorian four panel internal door and ended up very European. I will look for the pics and post shortly.

seriph1
30th September 2005, 02:03 PM
as mentioned

seriph1
30th September 2005, 02:07 PM
oooooops - images might've been a help! Apologies for the avaerage pics but they should give some indication of what I did - all arch's, header and add-ons to the door were taken from a dumpster. Was a fun dumpster dive that one!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ashore
30th September 2005, 02:11 PM
as mentioned
So wheres the Pic's Steve :confused: :cool:

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Markw
3rd October 2005, 01:44 PM
Have just gone throught the PITA of ordering doors for new extensions and reno works. Best way found was to get a price from Bunnies using the Hume Doors catalogue then taking the price directly to Hume Doors to better it. Yes Hume will sell direct to the public, especially if you want more than just a single SP Maple interior door.

Ended up with a 30% saving on RRP. Remember that Bunnies don't price match for anything being special purchase order so this was a good outcome. My builder looked at pricing and didn't even bother to try and price match.