PDA

View Full Version : A question

Caligula
10th December 2017, 07:49 PM
Hi !

I run woodworking classes for different special development schools with different kind of physical and mental disability. Also I work with many kindergartens with 3-4 year old toddlers and they really enjoy woodwork. I am not sure if I send my message in the right topic. So I ask the moderator to move it to the right branch .

Children use basic tools such as coping saws and hammers and they make different age specific toys. The best materials for this task is 3.6-4.00 mm soft plywood. For many years I collected leftovers from one of the door factory in Melbourne. They were very happy to give me their off cuts rather than to drop them in the bin. But now they have a new foreman who probably has his own friends somewhere at a building side. So, I am looking for a different supplier of similar plywood.
I have already approached Hume Doors factory in Dandenong. They talked to me as if I was a beggar and it was absolutely unpleasant.

Maybe someone here runs a business which uses similar products and you have leftover ply ? If you have leftover of around 4 mm plywood I would be happy to collect it. Or maybe you know or can recommend a factory which cut such materials . I simply can't afford to buy brand new sheets for $20+ each at Bunnings.

Thanks.

KBs PensNmore
10th December 2017, 10:09 PM
If you ask for the manager at Bunnings, and explain the situation to them, they might come to the party with a damaged sheet or a better price. I know it's not what you're asking for, but it might help.
Kryn

Simplicity
10th December 2017, 11:14 PM
Try
All board in Bayswater
They supply a range of board materials.
But also cnc router so they may have off cuts.

Cheers Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJM16
11th December 2017, 10:11 AM
Try a Bowens store, they're usually very helpful with these sorts of things.
Even ask for packing sheets, they should have plenty, might be a little damaged and marked but you should be able to work around that.

Caligula
11th December 2017, 08:42 PM
If you ask for the manager at Bunnings, and explain the situation to them, they might come to the party with a damaged sheet or a better price. I know it's not what you're asking for, but it might help.
Kryn

At Bunnings they sell even a damaged product with a few dollars discount. No, it can't solve the problem.

Caligula
11th December 2017, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=Simplicity;2059572]Try
All board in Bayswater
They supply a range of board materials.
But also cnc router so they may have off cuts.

Last week I traveled to All Board in Thomastown. They sell similar products for the price of $20 per 2400 X 1200 sheet. But if I buy the whole bundle of 150 or 200 sheets they would sell it for $18 for each sheet.

I will try to find something after summer holidays. But then I will probably order the required plywood on Aliexpress as they sell similar wood for the prices starting from $2.50 per sheet. With the delivery and custom clearance it would be under $10 per sheet.

clear out
12th December 2017, 10:38 PM
I’m in Sydney and you are in Melbourne so this probably isn’t useful.
A mate (who is the worst bin rat I’ve ever met) has got a deal with a big Sydney supplier of board material.
He has been given literally cubic metres of ply offcuts.
This mob obviously do a lot of cut to size stuff and the off cuts are a space consuming liability for them.
The ply he’s scored so far has been fron 10mm up to 21mm.
Hes given myself and other mates as much as we can store and then done the rounds of the local men’s sheds spreading the cheer about.
Maybe it’s worth your while trying the suppliers down there re their offcuts.
H.