PDA

View Full Version : Worthless Wood Bauble

Pat
17th December 2017, 07:55 PM
Just a little Worthless Wood Bauble. Tasmanian Myrtle Burl, stabilised, with Grey and Lurid Green acrylic.

A blank from Dai Sensai.

Roughly 60mm diameter, 3mm hole drilled for attaching an eye hook.

dai sensei
17th December 2017, 08:36 PM
Looking good mate, well done.

Is this a leftover piece from the pepper grinder blank or just a chunk of it?

Robson Valley
18th December 2017, 08:31 AM
That is _exactly_ the kind of Christmas tree ornament to give as a gift. Exactly. I can't buy that anywhere on the planet.
Does that acrylic come in other colors as well?

My kids are all grown up and long gone.
Ever since they were babies, I have given each of them some sort of unique tree ornament for Christmas.
A ritual for many decades (not that they ever want to be reminded of it).
I watch all year long for those one-of-a-kind baubles, as you call them.
Some years, it's easy. Some years, I go right to the wire.

Pat
18th December 2017, 09:33 AM
Rob, I brought 2 peppermill blanks off Neil (Dai Sensai, in this forum), several years ago. I have been harassed by family and friends as they are seeing the mixed media creations on social media.

So in an effort to quieten down the comments, I found 1 of the blanks, cut it roughly for a sphere blank, had an on the lathe modification event and saved it by making the bauble.

As I replied to 1 mate, I can turn what you want, but getting the raw materials is the issue, as I am not set up to make the blanks.

I know Neil has a few of these blanks, they are worth a few bob though, 12" long by 2 1/2" to 3" square. Fair bit of resin goes into these, but the finished result makes them worth the outlay.

woodPixel
18th December 2017, 10:13 AM
I like the streaky fluoro. Its very nice.

May I ask what it is?

Pat
18th December 2017, 10:19 AM
Xmas tree bauble . . . Tasmanian Myrtle Burl and acrylic.

dai sensei
18th December 2017, 08:39 PM
That is _exactly_ the kind of Christmas tree ornament to give as a gift. Exactly. I can't buy that anywhere on the planet.
Does that acrylic come in other colors as well?...

Yes, basically any solid, swirling (mica powder) or translucent colour. I use a clear casting epoxy to ensure it sticks well. The timber doesn't need to be stabilised, just depends on the use of the blanks made or if it has rotten areas, knife makers always want their stabilised. I do special orders, just send me a PM with timber you want cast and the colour you prefer (although I am away at present and won't be back until late Feb).

Check out my Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/DaiSenseiWoodworking/ for photos of blanks made.