PDA

View Full Version : CA activator

antcha
17th December 2017, 08:21 PM
I have been having trouble getting a super glue coat to dry on my wooden pen blanks. Hab been unable to source a spray activator which is available in America but not for overseas orders. I recently obtained the activator in liquid form which proved messy in applying on the pen. I bought a cheap airbrush for the purpose of applying this activator to my glue finish. Has been a boon for me. Might even learn how to paint with it one day.

woodPixel
18th December 2017, 01:01 AM
The very best is Hafele Aktivator, which is available from Model hobby shops and Hafele storefronts.

It does a marvellous job and works perfectly with BSI thick/medium/thin CAs without whiting up... unless you go nuts with it!

Lappa
18th December 2017, 12:21 PM
You can buy it in an aerosol or a spray pump bottle. Most hobby shops keep it but call it accelerator rather than activator. I used it on my model gliders.

Carrolls also keep it for online purchase
https://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/hot-shot-qa-6-ncf-quick-accelerator

antcha
18th December 2017, 05:55 PM
You are quite correct, it is accelerator not activator, my mistake. Since you mention it, I did find it on Jims site. I never noticed it there before.

antcha
18th December 2017, 05:59 PM
Thanks mate, I will look into this soon.

Dorno
28th May 2018, 08:52 PM
I have used most of the Accelerators that are available at our pen suppliers and find them all great to use. The Mitre fix that was or still could be available at timberbits it a great product but only if you can pick it up from them because they kill you in the shipping charges for that type of product.

Cheers Ian

jack620
24th July 2018, 05:45 PM
It’s also called kicker, which might expand your search results.

skot
26th July 2018, 08:17 PM
https://www.woodworkmachinery.com.au/product-page/cph-starbond-super-glue-accelerator-8oz

You could try here.....seems competative

8oz ~ 230grams ~250mls

Tahlee
26th July 2018, 10:04 PM
https://www.woodworkmachinery.com.au/product-page/cph-starbond-super-glue-accelerator-8oz

You could try here.....seems competative

8oz ~ 230grams ~250mls

This is what that site says

..... Starbond Super Glue Accelerator, also known as CA glue "activator," is used to significantly increase the drying time of cyanoacrylate super glues.

I thought it reduced the drying time ....so now I know better .... or do I

Regards

Rob

Bohdan
26th July 2018, 10:42 PM
And on that website further down the page they state :-

"When using higher volumes of CA during gap filling applications, bonding time may take much longer, so Accelerator is highly recommended"

suggesting that it is used to speed up the bonding time and on the bottle it states "Dries superglue instantly".

plt43
27th July 2018, 08:42 AM
I think Miterfix is excellent, but also expensive.
David (Timberbits) also recommended Glen20 as a cheap alternative at one stage - worked ok for me.
Have had success with Insta-set from Hobbyking, but you decant from a bottle to your own small spraypump bottle, so a little fiddlier.
cheers
phil