PDA

View Full Version : Renovation Cost / m2

Bin J
27th September 2005, 02:42 PM
Hi - I think I know what the answer will be here ("it depends"), but what I would like to know is, what is a ballpark figure for extensions as a price per m2.

I have heard anything from $750.00 for the central coast where, as people have said "there are so many builders there, they'll build it for that", up to about $1,500m2. Also, does this / would this figure only be to 'lock up' or would that be complete?

The reason I ask is that my husband and I have been planning an extension / renovation for 3 years, have just got a quote back and our whole lives have been turned upside down! :eek: This being the first time we've built anything, so we've got nothing to compare prices to, except my dad (owner-builder extraordinare), where he can do everything for less than 1/2 the cost of everyone else :rolleyes: . And since he doesn't live close to us, and he's in the middle of building his own house (again), using him is out of the question at the moment!

Hope you can help!!!

maglite
27th September 2005, 03:36 PM
I suggest that you call the archicentre nearest your location.

www.archicentre.com.au (http://www.archicentre.com.au)

The site has some great downloads and general information.
We used the WA branch for assistance during our renovations.
Hope that this helps.

Steve

namtrak
27th September 2005, 05:32 PM
For what its worth here is a thread where I am tracking our renos, I have included some stuff on costs which may come in handy

Cheers

The link (http://woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=15552)

seriph1
27th September 2005, 10:17 PM
Hi and a big warm welcome to the forum - you should find a lot of helpful info and people here ....... it has certainly been a real help to me!

$750 is a number I have seen quoted around the place (still makes me gulp) - I would be interested in what number you were quoted and for what - reason I ask is: Often folks look at a certain price per SM and think "well I will just do the kitchen and bathroom" then get one helluva shock at the price for just these two..... this is due to a kitchen and bathroom being the two items that lift the prices most and can be 3000 per SM or even more depending on the fittings etc.

have fun

Auspiciousdna
28th September 2005, 10:23 AM
I believe you have the answer you’re after ("it depends"). All builders have their own individual overheads plus what has been mentioned, more plumbing and electrical more cost, same for special inclusions (Cedar windows, French doors, cabinets, appliances and so on) Get a few quotes; go check out what the builders have built for the coin they quoted and if you’re still not happy, it’s often cheaper to knock down and build with a project home builder than most major reno’s!

Trav
28th September 2005, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry to say it Bin J, but Canberra (-ish) is one of the most expensive places to renovate or extend. I think you are looking at more like $1500m2 for ground floor extensions and $2000-2500 for second floor. That is for a basic room (like a bedroom etc) without carpets or curtains, but with things like plastering, electrical, etc etc.

Archicentre is a good place to start.

Trav

conwood
28th September 2005, 02:26 PM
I found out last weekend from a reno builder mate of mine, that to going rate in Brisbane is now $1800 per metre..very scary.

cheers,
conwood

seriph1
28th September 2005, 02:37 PM
when I think about it, $1800 might be reasonable, until I see the word metre

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

then it's toilet time again

Bin J
28th September 2005, 05:52 PM
Thank you all very, very much for your input! I must say I was still 'on the ground' two days after receiving our quote :eek: . Okay, I'll give a bit more information.

The extention is 6 x 6.52, being a bedroom, ensuite and WIR. We are also knocking down some internal walls, releveling the floor of part of the existing (5.5 x 10.5m) building are reroofing the the lot (so all new gyprock ceilings) - The whole EXISTING house is 107.75m2.

The price we asked from the builder was for 'the shell' for the extension and the above works and NOT include, plumbing, electrical, flooring, or painting, fitting out the bathroom or kitchen - basically 'lock-up', plus gyprocking and cornicing. (is that a word? - sorry!). We are organising our own other trades. I should add that we are having timber windows and some bi-fold doors ($11,000) but everything else is standard.

Also the area for the extension is already excavated (though no footing dug).

Okay, so for this, including GST, the price was $120K.

So that works out to be $817m2 if you average out over the whole house (but keep in mind this is not finished, nor is it including all the the whole house - in 50m2 of the house, the only thing been done is a new roof and ceiling). So if I take away that 50m2 (which wouldn't be strictly accurate though), that equals $1200m2 (unfinished - no bathroom, kitchen, flooring, or painting).

I've attached a rough (not to scale!!!!!) pic to explain a bit better.
So how does this sound . . . . :confused: :o

Trav
28th September 2005, 05:57 PM
Bin J

When you get into that kind of money, it starts becoming kind of interesting to work out how much a brand spanking new house is. If you are on a property out of town, can you live in the existing place while it is being built?

We considered an extension for our little 3br brick veneer place in Canberra and came to the conclusion that if you wanted a big extension, you might as well knock the existing place down and start again. :eek:

Trav

seriph1
28th September 2005, 06:08 PM
I think the builder has added in a HUGE P.I.T.A. factor - (first word "pain") as the work is anything but straightforward.... I know, I know ....... it seems easy enough and it might be, but it isnt a straighforward footings-slab-frame-roof-roofing-cladding-job. it is fiddly ans they feel it will be a nightmare and it might. I still think it is high by a good 40 grand though

:)

my only suggestions may not be good ones, like: get more quotes - work out how to do it is stages - learn some skills yourselves and do the smaller work etc.

Above all - have fun!!!!

Bin J
28th September 2005, 06:13 PM
Bin J

We considered an extension for our little 3br brick veneer place in Canberra and came to the conclusion that if you wanted a big extension, you might as well knock the existing place down and start again. :eek:

Trav
Oh, believe me, my dad and other 'practical' builder types has mentioned that many times before. However, it it our first house and having lived in it already for almost four years, I can't just bulldose my house!!! :D . Not only that, we are in a 'heritage zone' - not a heritage listed house, but a heritage 'zone', so I think knocking it down completely is out of the question anyway :rolleyes: (lucky for me!)

Bin J

When you get into that kind of money, it starts becoming kind of interesting to work out how much a brand spanking new house is. If you are on a property out of town, can you live in the existing place while it is being built?

Trav
Funny you should mention that, - we only just organised to stay with friends we used to 'flat' with before we were married - it'll be just like old times :rolleyes: ! We actually didn't want to put anyone out for that long - but they insisted and if it's going to cost us this much, perhaps it's not a bad idea afterall!

seriph1
28th September 2005, 06:19 PM
Interesting that youre in a heritage area - mustnt be in Canberaa then I guess...... what period of homes are around you? Also, could you take a pic of the front of your house and post it? I would be interested to see it for architectural reasons which I can explain anytime you can't sleep.

:D:D:D

Bin J
28th September 2005, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=seriph1]I think the builder has added in a HUGE P.I.T.A. factor - (first word "pain") as the work is anything but straightforward.... I know, I know ....... it seems easy enough and it might be, but it isnt a straighforward footings-slab-frame-roof-roofing-cladding-job. it is fiddly ans they feel it will be a nightmare and it might. I still think it is high by a good 40 grand though

QUOTE]

Okay, so considering the above - what if it it turns out not to be as big a PITA as expected - I still have to pay this don't I. Is there a way to haggle (I mean negotiate) with this kind of thing? Is there haggling in the building industry?

No not in Canberra - about an hour south (enough clues!?). I don't think it's a heritage type house, but apparently the front two rooms are made of solid granite (but some fool has stuckoed (sorry is that a word) over the top) and dates back to the 18## (eighteen somethings). Our renovation is not a 'period' renovation.

Trav
28th September 2005, 06:25 PM
Is a frog's bum waterproof?

Yes, you can haggle - the worst that they can say is no.

But get quotes - lots of them. Some tradies will put a speculator quote in - they don't really want the business, but if someone wants to pay over the top $$, they will do it. Since the fires, getting good priced building work in Canberra has been hard to say the least.

Trav