PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt thicknesser

boxers
27th September 2005, 04:57 PM
I have been surfing the net and came upon a company called Oz Tool. I see they have a DeWalt thicknesser DW734 for $699.00 compared to Just Tools for $1020.00. Does anyone know of this company? this seems to be a huge price difference.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do I smell a con???????

Any advice?

Robert WA
27th September 2005, 05:10 PM
I have been surfing the net and came upon a company called Oz Tool. I see they have a DeWalt thicknesser DW734 for $699.00 compared to Just Tools for $1020.00. Does anyone know of this company? this seems to be a huge price difference.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do I smell a con???????

Any advice?
That sounds interesting. What is the url of Oz Tool?

knucklehead
27th September 2005, 05:18 PM
Boxers,
Can't help with Oz tool, but Dewalt have a clearance centre in Brisbane. They sell repaired gear with warranty. If you know what model you want give them a call. They may just have one on the shelf.

In my opion the prices are not cheap enough. I have always been able to get a better price from a retailer after some haggling.

Dewalt Service Centre (and Black and Decker)
Unit 4, 605 Kingsford Smith Drive Hamilton QLD 4007
ph: 1300 303 958

BrettC
27th September 2005, 07:07 PM
I think that the DW-734 has 2 cutterheads, De Walt now have the DW-735 which has 3 cutterheads and seems to be superceding the 734 model in Australia (the DW-735 has been out in America for a while). The DW-735 seems like a nice thicknesser and from memory (could be wrong) was selling for around $1,200 at the Canberra Working with Wood show - not sure what normal retail is. Given that the much better model is selling for around $1,200 the price for DW-734 might be realistic, probably not a bad buy.

boxers
27th September 2005, 07:59 PM
Hi Robert WA the url is http://www.oztool.com/xcart2/home.php

Boxers

boxers
27th September 2005, 08:03 PM
The 734 has 3 blades
Boxers

boxers
27th September 2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks Knucklehead. I will try it out
Boxers

corbs
27th September 2005, 10:29 PM

Any advice?

Wow... imagine if Bunnies sold the Dewalt thicknesser and you got the price match... oh yeah :D:D:D:eek:

Jeffm
30th September 2005, 09:30 AM
Boxers
I've just had a look at the website you mentioned and if you look at the specs they are advertising the power supply is 110v 15 amp. It may be they are using the US modle as an advertisement and what they are selling is 240v but it's worth checking out.
jeffm

Wongo
30th September 2005, 11:10 AM
I think this is the new 734. It has the silver top and 3 knifes. I believe it even came out after the 735 model. For only $699 it could be a real bargain.

duckman
30th September 2005, 11:39 AM
Jeffm is correct with regard to voltages. If you look at a number of their ads. for other products, I checked out the Panasonic cordless drills, all those ads. that specify a voltage all state 110volts.

It looks to me like they could be selling "grey imports" and if that is the case, you would have a hard time with any warranty claim.

My $0.02 worth. :cool:

kats1719
30th September 2005, 12:00 PM
just rang the 03 0808 1318 help &support and got a recorded message thay have another nubber 02076694270 dident ring that thow.Allso there is no au in the web addderss.

kats1719
30th September 2005, 12:05 PM
just did a search for oz tool on google and ges wat no much wat found . so be very careful

Trav
30th September 2005, 12:24 PM
I'd be interested in a dewalt for that price.

However, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I suspect that they are based in the US and send out US models with an Australian power adapter. Warranty would be questionable, especially if you need to send it back to the US. I couldn't find any info on delivery in their website.

I agree with Kats - be careful with this mob.

The fact that they sell snowblowers is a pretty good giveaway as well. Not much demand for them here in Australia.

I might send them an e-mail and ask a few questions.

Trav

boxers
30th September 2005, 01:25 PM
I have left a message and sent an email. No answer to date!!!!. I am beginning to smelll a rat

Boxers

Noel157
1st October 2005, 08:52 AM
Hi,
This appears to be a scam.
This website appeared on a UK based forum a couple of months ago:

http://www.nepine.co.uk/xcart/customer/home.php (http://www.nepine.co.uk/xcart/customer/home.php)

Change the name, change the currency and pretend to be catering to the Australian woodworker and you get this http://www.oztool.com/xcart2/home.php One of the UK guys contacted them and posted the following:

"They claim to be a USA supplier selling American power tools at GB Pounds Sterling prices direct to the UK (and elsewhere). The information on the site about the company is negligable so I checked out their "Chat with us Live" option and got the following (sorry for lengthy detail):-

Chat Transcript
info: Please wait for a site operator to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Christine'
Christine: Thank you for contacting nepine.co.uk, how can I help you today?
Pete: Dear Nepine Customer Service, your website is very well constructed, but I am having difficulty finding out anything about you contained on it. It would seem you are an American company, but the ".co.uk" in your URL and all prices shown in British Pounds Sterling suggests you are able and willing to supply goods to customers in the UK. Please can you advise: - 1. Your company details (name, contact address, basis of trading etc). 2. Do you sell to UK customers? 3. Do you have a UK base of operations, or will any goods for British customers be sent directly from the USA plus the usual UK Customs Import Tax, transatlantic shipping costs etc.? 4. Your telephone Help Line rings for a while and then a recorded voice advises "Garden Readies (or something like that) ? all our operatives are busy, please leave a message ...." etc. Is this in fact a Customer Call Centre fielding calls for a number of mail-order companies?. 5. Are all goods sold to British customers modified to appropriate UK standards e.g. 230/240v, 13amp supply? many thanks, Pete.
Christine: Hi Pete, thanks for your requests. We are a US based company.
Christine: and sell items to customers in the UK
Christine: Our office is based within the US. The postal address is:
Christine: 681 Main Street, STE 2-17
Christine: Waltham, MA, 02451
Christine: US
Christine: 2. Yes, we do sell to UK customers
Christine: 3. Your item will be posted from our warehouse in the USA. It will be shipped promptly, with full insurance. Usually, no import duties or other taxes apply, but we cannot guarantee that. However, should you get charged for that, simply send us a copy of the customs receipt, and we will cover those charges.
Christine: 4. I apologize for that, we are very busy
Christine: Our phone number is 0207 9932973
Christine: 5. We are selling the american spec items. They are 110V. With most of our cordless tools, we also add a step-down transformer that you can use the item on 240V. You can find that information in the item description or you can also ask us if you are interested in a specific item.
Christine: Is there anything else I can do for you?
Pete: No thanks, I'll call the number you have provided if I need to chat about specific items. Many thanks for all of your help. Pete
Pete: Bye
Christine: Thanks.
Christine: bye "

I've highlighted the best part. Yeah, no problem, they'll pay any taxes that you get billed for!!! A rat, and a smelly one at that.

Rgds

Noel

Trav
4th October 2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks Noel

Trav