PDA

View Full Version : Rolly Munro shear scraper

tony_A
30th December 2017, 09:15 AM
Brought myself a Rolly Munro wundercut 10 for my birthday and am intending get a Rolly Munro shear scraper as my Christmas present.

I cant seem to find out much about them and currently not available in Oz. Toolpost in the UK offers the scraper head for the mega 2 scraper for wundercut 10 and what I presume is the earlier model, mega shear scraper which comes with a 5/8 shaft.
The Rolly Munro NZ web site seems to be down and has been for a couple of weeks.

Has anyone had experience with either of these scrapers. Any feedback appreciated.

Tony

NeilS
30th December 2017, 11:00 AM
Brought myself a Rolly Munro wundercut 10 for my birthday and am intending get a Rolly Munro shear scraper as my Christmas present.

I cant seem to find out much about them and currently not available in Oz. Toolpost in the UK offers the scraper head for the mega 2 scraper for wundercut 10 and what I presume is the earlier model, mega shear scraper which comes with a 5/8 shaft.
The Rolly Munro NZ web site seems to be down and has been for a couple of weeks.

Has anyone had experience with either of these scrapers. Any feedback appreciated.

TonyI have the older Munro Mega hollower, but chose to go with with the Woodcut shear scraper, which gives me more control over the shear angle. The Munro has a fixed angle (looks like 45deg), whereas the Woodcut can rotate to any angle.

Although I have both the Munro and the Woodcut hollowers in my tool rack, I rarely use the Munro. Come to think of it, I could probably let the Munro go.

Rolly did make improvements to his hollower since my version, so I can't comment how much better that is compared to my model. The latest version has a carbide cutter, which is secured with a different method. The ToolPost website has full details on that. Although the cutters on the hollower are now TC, I expect that the shear scraper cutter will still be HSS and the old assembly probably fits any of the models. Carroll's has always carried Munro tools here in Australia and I'm sure Jim can get the correct scraper attachment to fit your model, Tony.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

WOODbTURNER
30th December 2017, 06:08 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Neil. Have both Munro and Woodcut and find always preferring the Woodcut. Even use the WC on my Monster deep hollowing tool.

tony_A
31st December 2017, 09:13 PM
Thanks Neil and woodbturner.
I like the result from turning wood with twisted figured grain and crotch pieces. The down side is that there is generally somewhere on the piece where I end up cutting against the grain and tear-out is hard to avoid. I've currently got access to a fair bit on old, dry blackwood and its as hard as a goats forehead but looks fantastic when finished.
When I was looking for a hollowing tool I fairly quickly narrowed the choice down to Munro or Woodcut and ended up going Munro as it seemed easier for a novice to control, particularly in this sort of wood. I find that the Munro works OK but I haven't tried any others to compare.
The last piece I was turning had a strip of occluded bark running through and the hollower took a bit of holding when the cutting head was set off to the side. Ended up with some ridges inside the vessel and was thinking that a scraper would smooth this off. My first thought was to go for a Munro scraper but I will look at make. I guess hanging on to a scraper in this situation wont be a bundle of laughs either.

Any comments or advice welcome

Tony

Sent from an old laptop using twofingers

hughie
1st January 2018, 08:29 AM
I just bought just the scraper tip and fitted it to one of my shafts. So the other issues others have experienced didnt come into it. As far working etc its fine and being a carbide material the edge lasts well.

NeilS
1st January 2018, 11:48 AM
. I guess hanging on to a scraper in this situation wont be a bundle of laughs either.

Any comments or advice welcome

Tony

Sent from an old laptop using twofingers

Tony - stick with the laptop and your two fingers, a much better interface than Tapatalk, IMO... :~}

On scraping compared to cutting, a finishing scraping cut is a much finer cut and puts far less stress (torque) on the tool. It is far more forgiving than a full-on bevel cut.

It is a very light cut and if I'm doing it 'correctly' (I think of it as a scraping cut where the face of the scraper is at 90deg or less to wood surface), the cut can be made both with and against the grain, with very little difference in the result. The shavings it produces will be fine and whispy. Any minor ridges will be easily removed with a shear scraping cut.

Keep in mind that there are two surfaces inside a closed form; the area that can be reached with fingers and the remainder which can only be 'seen' by peering in. I finish these two areas accordingly, giving more attention to the tactile area. Fingers are far more discerning than the eye in detecting anomalies in thickness and form. Note: If you are entering pieces into an exhibition/competition you may need to work to a different standard to meet the expectations of any 'retentive' judges... : ~}

I should mention that scrapers were also used in woodturning as bulk wood removal tools for thousands of years before bowl gouges were introduced relatively recently. Pattern makers continued this scraper tradition up until recently. A few modern woodturners also use this method of bulk wood removal (roughing cuts) in green wood turning. Robo Hippy (Reed Gray) is one of the best exponents of this and he has a YouTube video of him using this method to good effect, along with some shear scraping to illustrate the difference. BTW, the bevel rubbing cuts he shows in that video using a scraper like tool are more akin to a gouge cut and are not what I (or he) would call a scraping cut.

https://youtu.be/g92Ze9iMR4Y

I have occasionally used a carbide tipped tool in scraper roughing mode on very hard woods that were killing the edges on my HSS gouges, but otherwise I prefer the cut I get with a gouge.

Apologies for the long meandering post.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

tony_A
1st January 2018, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply Neil, and no more meandering than my previous post. Have seen a number of Reed's vids and always learn something from them. Have recently been playing with (external) shear/sheer scraping, after seeing one of Reed's vids, although haven't quite nailed it yet.
Have sent an email Carroll's regarding the Munro scraper so will wait for his reply.

Tony