PDA

View Full Version : How to check out if a builder is on the up & up

biotechy2k
27th September 2005, 07:26 PM
Hi Guys
I've got a friend who wants to build a house, now this is a big project for her
Not that She wants to do the building but she's had a plann designed for her specs or what ever and she's been given a few names of local chaps in her area who are builders, (so they say)
Now is there anyway of checking if they are registered builders can she do this over the net, is there a link
like there is with Registered Veterinary surgeons ect.

She's worked hard for this and doesn't want any thing to go wrong
I said I'd put the question on this board,
Unfortunately she' is disabled and tends to get treated as a not too bright under grad
Which is quite the oposite, she's one of the best lecturers I know but as amazing as her intellect is in the Biotechnology field building is not her forte
so if you can help with a link to find out Registered Builders in Qld
It would be muchly Appreciated
Cheers Biotechy2k

Auspiciousdna
27th September 2005, 08:11 PM
The department of fair tradings website has a link that show all tradies I believe and if there have been complains

Zed
27th September 2005, 08:20 PM
when shes interviewing builders if they are on the up and up they wont mind providing previous references. I'd ask for at lesat 5 or 6 previous jobs and visit the owern and each site.... if they tell you to bugger off, say the same thing back!

bitingmidge
27th September 2005, 08:20 PM
Forget fair trading!

In Queensland http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/OnlineLicenceSearch/

The Building Services Authority has a full search feature including all complaints, licence classes etc etc online for free.

Cheers,

P
;)

Auspiciousdna
27th September 2005, 08:40 PM
Oh! that's right, Queelslands, service is so much better!

What was I thinking?

biotechy2k
27th September 2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks Guys will check out the web sites
I thought there was something like that out there just not something I've needed to use

incidently I check out any new vets over the net and if they aren't registered with the AVA well they don't get my business

Cheers Biotechy2k

Gaza
27th September 2005, 09:49 PM
get an indpent cilent project manger to run the project from desighn to handover on her behalf, also ensure that it is a flat fee not % of work completed. Must arichtecs do this but now there is a whole new lot of pro's who understand the process better than a pencil holding dreamer.

also go for fixed price contract and make sure the contract is a standard one ie HIA or MBA, while they are weighed in the favour of the builder they are still fair to cilent and also easy to read.

boban
27th September 2005, 10:21 PM
also go for fixed price contract and make sure the contract is a standard one ie HIA or MBA, while they are weighed in the favour of the builder they are still fair to cilent and also easy to read..

IMHO the HIA and MBA are too heavily biased in favour of the builder. If you must sign a contract of this type, then please take the time to read it carefully. If you dont understand it then consult a lawyer. Its cheaper to do it before you have problems rather than afterwards. Most people dont realise that they can negotiate the terms of the contract. If you dont like something then cross it out.

Isnt it funny that people invariably go to a lawyer to buy the land and dont do it when they build, even when the money spent in both cases is substantial.

Finally, follow the procedures in the contract for variations, extensions of time and giving of notices. Put everything in writing.

Now if she wants to go to extremes, ask for his insurance provider to give you the names of the owners of the last five jobs he did. Then talk to the owners and see what they say.

maglite
27th September 2005, 10:50 PM
According to the guy that built our place, all contracts to build are set price once agreed and signed off between the parties involved.

The contract did say that a max of +15% could be charged if we requested things outside of those we listed in the initial contract.
We were never charged it and the builder did say that +15% equals commercial suicide.They would make up the difference on the next job and so on..

If your really concerned of your friend being taken advantage of she could contract an architect to work on her behalf.
He acts as the go - between for the clients rather than for the builder and from all accounts this helps to lessen the chances of any conflict.
Apparently the builder invoices the architect for progress payments etc, the architect does all the inspections to ensure the work is completed and then he pays the builder.
In your friends case this might be a practical solution that suits all parties involved.
www.archicentre.com.au (http://www.archicentre.com.au)

I hope this helps
Steve

attie
27th September 2005, 10:52 PM
I was going to suggest the GMBA [http://www.qmba.asn.au/] but some seem to have reservations. I would have thought that there would be some practising builders from Brisbane here in the forums to help out.
Is it worth a thought to talk to the local building inspector

conwood
28th September 2005, 02:47 PM
I know several, one of which is my client, the other I know personally very well. Both will treat your friend respectfully.

You are welcome to contact me for more details.

conwood
(brisbane)

biotechy2k
28th September 2005, 04:11 PM
Hi Guys well I tried the link and three of the (insert insult about dubious parentage) were not registered so she's scrapped them and I introduced her to a neighbour (Lovely chap) who is an architec who has given her a referral to a guy who'se worked with him for 10 years so if he says hes cool that's ok by me

as she is disabled she needs ramps and extra wide doors for the old motorised wheels she is now sporting but thank you again guys I've kept that link and should anyone else I know need it they'll get it passed on
Great Job Fellas you all have a beer/tea/cup'o'joe (what ever your poison) on me
Cheers Biotechy