PDA

View Full Version : Mini Max Bandsaws

Wirraway
27th September 2005, 07:46 PM
I am looking to purchase a Mini Max S45 Bandsaw from Gabbett Machinery. Originally I was after the Mini Max 16" Bandsaw as seen on the Mini Max US site but I am told it is only available in the good old USA. There is an "equivalent" machine out here suposedly the S400, but comparing the specs the S45 looks to be the better machine. Does anybody have a S45 or any comments. It is not cheap but it looks better than the Taiwanese machines. I read some other comments that Gabbett service leaves a lot to be desired and this is also a concern.

monoman
27th September 2005, 08:29 PM
I have an S45, which I bought second hand (and in need of new tyres and guides) for $700. It's a fine saw in evry respect, although it is limited to a max 19mm blade width. Some of the tainwanese machines are pretty good too.

Wirraway
28th September 2005, 09:51 AM
Hi Monoman,

Thank you for the input. The second hand price that you secured your S45 for is a huge drop from the new price. I am still debating whether to buy one of these machines or to go for a cheaper Taiwanese machine. The trouble is there is not much info around.

ryanarcher
28th September 2005, 05:22 PM
Wirraway,
Look for any italian saw manufactured by "ACM". this is the company that manufactures the saws for mini-max, laguna, felder and the other top brands. any ACM made saw will be top-notch regardless of the tag. you might even be able to write them and ask if any are exported to OZ.

cheers,
-Ryan

Wirraway
5th October 2005, 06:43 PM
Hi Ryan,

Thank you for the info about ACM. I might drop them a line. Laguna Saws have a good rep in the US but I don't think they are sold here. I am also waiting on a brochure from the WA importer of an another Italian made saw the Agazinni (i think the spelling is right). From speaking to the ditributor it seems to have all the features and the saws are currently available in Australia, whereas the Mini Max saws have to be ordered and shipped. Stay tuned and I will advcise how I get on.

Greg Q
6th November 2005, 11:36 PM
Hi Wirraway...

Did you find a saw yet? The Laguna saw that you mentioned is/was made by Meber, another Italian maker. Good saw, and they were imported and sold widely here-You may be able to find one used-there was one here in Melbourne a few weeks ago.

The MM16, 18 and 20 saws as sold in the USA are made by Centauro. I don't know who their agent is here, but they have one, and hence Gabbett only import the lesser S45*

*lesser is the concensus on the MiniMax Owner's Group on Yahoo.

Felder's bandsaws are ACM, and they have some special prices right now.
Their new Hammer 440 saw is priced well, but I don't know where it's made. I have seen it, and it is made very well.

The other great Italian saw is Aggazanni, prized in the US. They are sold by
"For Wood" in Perth and Sydney. I was going to buy one before I stumbled across my Meber.

Hope this helps
Greg

Island Nomad
10th November 2005, 01:29 PM
Wirraway,

How did you go with that bandsaw, reason I ask is I may be interested in one myself.

I found that Agazzini distributors #:

For Wood Tools And Machinery Sales
23 Exhibition Drv Malaga WA 6090
ph: (08) 9249 2399

Did you get any prices on the MiniMax and Laguna???

regards

Nomad

Greg Q
11th November 2005, 11:32 PM
Greetings,

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been away. When I was looking for a new saw I rang Ron Mack machinery for a price on the Meber 600-it is the approximate equivalent of the Laguna, made by the same company. Here it is around $5,400.00. The Agazzani Rapid(sp?) is around $4,000 and may in fact be the better saw. When I saw them in Perth it was apparent that a discounted price could be had.

I seem to recall that the Minimax S45 was around 3.5K, but Gabbett didn't have a saw in stock when I was there looking (quite a while ago).

I found my Meber on ebay, probably 15 or so years old, but it runs like a champ, and tensions a 1" blade beautifully. The only thing that I will change are the blade guides-to a bearing style guide owing to the wear on my wheel guides and a personal bias that I have against them in general.

If I was shopping for a new saw I would start at the Hammer 440 (18") for around 2.2K, then the Agazanni 18" for 3ish, then the Aga 24" for approx 4K.

I hope this helps...

Greg

ryanarcher
12th November 2005, 03:02 PM
Greetings,

the Meber 600-it is the approximate equivalent of the Laguna, made by the same company.

the Lagunas are made by ACM now. well done on your purchase.
-Ryan:)

FlyingDuck
16th May 2006, 11:16 PM
Wirraway, did you ever purchase that bandsaw? Would be interested in what you got.

LuckyDuck
17th May 2006, 07:33 PM
Wirraway,
Look for any italian saw manufactured by "ACM". this is the company that manufactures the saws for mini-max, laguna, felder and the other top brands. any ACM made saw will be top-notch regardless of the tag. you might even be able to write them and ask if any are exported to OZ.

cheers,
-Ryan

I'm curious about the ACM group, as I was told Felder, Laguna, etc. were made by the SCM group. Have I got it mixed up?

Wirraway, you could also have a look at the Meber saw. I beat the Ron Mack rep here in Brisbane down to $3950 for the SR600, but passed it up for the FELDER FB540. So you should be able to get the Meber for a similar price to the Agazanni. The question is which one is better? Regards...

Greg Q
19th May 2006, 06:34 PM
Yes, SCM makes industrial machines under their own label, and for their Minimax division. ACM is the manufacturer of Felder, Bridgewood, probably Griggio, and maybe now some Laguna models. Meber used to make the bandsaws for Laguna, now possibly only their own line and some small European labels.
Agazanni sell under their own name, as does Centauro. Centauro saws in America are sold by Minimax as their MM16-24 series.

Good choice on the Felder 540-that's a nice saw.

Greg

LuckyDuck
19th May 2006, 09:00 PM
Gregoryq,
Thanks for the info; no wonder I was mixed up as both ACM and SCM exist, making their own saws, under various resellers. Regards