PDA

View Full Version : thailand longboat

la Huerta
28th September 2005, 09:38 AM
anyone got any info on the little wooden longboats used in thailand , there cool, with an outboard on the back they be good for fishing...i think the ones used in the carrabean could be similar too.

bitingmidge
28th September 2005, 10:30 AM
Hey la,

There are a number of plans available on the web for similar boats, but I'm blowed if I can find them right now.

The mobs like UNESCO publish them, there was one unlikely one from somewhere like Kashmir I recall, very simple to build.

I have thought about it, then lie down till the feeling goes away.

If I can find the link I'll post it here.

Cheers,

P
:D

bitingmidge
28th September 2005, 10:38 AM
It was actually Nepal!!

http://www.fao.org/docrep/field/003/L3251E/L3251E00.htm#TOC

A "Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations" initiative, the page has plans for boats of similar design ranging from 3 - 7 metres in length.

They aren't exactly the same as the Thai ones, but no-one at Bermagui would notice!

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

Sir Stinkalot
28th September 2005, 02:23 PM
I was there last year so I have heaps of photos but I didn't do construction drawings :o

la Huerta
28th September 2005, 09:29 PM
bittingmidge...the 5.5m one looks good but i have never built a boat and would need to see some pics or maybe find one in sydney to look at...but it would be good for xmas to go fishing in mate.

malcolm
5th October 2005, 10:39 AM
not in Thailand but a sort of Australian longtail, with a pic.

http://www.boatbuilder.com.au/pdf/pdfs/coorong.pdf

Wild Dingo
5th October 2005, 12:09 PM
Nice one Malcolm

Roberts a major nice bloke... Ive had many a yarn with him about another of his designs the Secret a beautiful wee pilot type boat... trouble is you gotta buy the ruddy kit to build it! And I want the plans man... THE PLANS!! :mad: ah well no worries :rolleyes:

Leiki
11th October 2005, 02:57 AM
Are you looking for plans to build one, or are you looking to buy one? I have several.

markharrison
11th October 2005, 01:15 PM
Are you looking for plans to build one, or are you looking to buy one? I have several.

Sydney Australia is a hell of a long way from Idaho USA. I think the shipping cost might be a tad prohibitive. It would almost certainly be cheaper to get one directly from Thailand to Sydney.

la Huerta
21st October 2005, 09:31 AM
i noticed that the longboats used in the carribean are also exellent designs, i think they might be better suited to rough weather too, but what are they called, just longboats or could there be a proper name ?