PDA

View Full Version : Buckled veneers of Bubinga

Shedhand
22nd January 2018, 08:59 PM
Hey all, I have about a dozen sheets of Bubinga veneer someone gave me a few years ago. They've been stored flat between float glass all the time but they're all buckled. I'm wanting to use them but don't know how to get rid of the buckling. Can someone point me in the right direction please.
Thanks
Sheddie

shanesmith80
22nd January 2018, 09:48 PM
Spray them with some veneer softener, either buy or make own.
Basic recipe.
Water, glycerin, metho. Can't remember exact quantities, but about 10:1:1.

Sandwiched between glass you have with some paper to help absorb moisture. Change paper after 12/24 hours if needed.

Theres probably Bly a better and more complex way but that worked for me.

There other her posts in here somewhere about it.

cheers
shane

Shedhand
23rd January 2018, 01:18 AM
Thanks Shane. I'll give that a go.
Cheers
Mike (middle name Shane ;) )

Wood Collector
23rd January 2018, 09:32 PM
Ill give you another recepie for veneer softener tomorrow from a advanced veneering book that I used with good success on a job recently

Shedhand
23rd January 2018, 11:40 PM
Ok, great. Thanks mate.

hurcorh
4th February 2018, 09:58 PM
Darrenoatesfinefurniture on instagram, he just put out a 6 part video series on softening and flattening worn out veneers. Excellent how to with a cheap veneer softening recipe. Don't buy the stuff from the stores, it's far too expensive for what it does.

woodPixel
5th February 2018, 12:50 AM
Darrenoatesfinefurniture on instagram, he just put out a 6 part video series on softening and flattening worn out veneers. Excellent how to with a cheap veneer softening recipe. Don't buy the stuff from the stores, it's far too expensive for what it does.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeFCvwvn_Wm/

60ml of glycerine, 60ml of metho, put in 1L bottle and fill remaining with water. His process is very easy.