PDA

View Full Version : Preventing overspray my way

Dalboy
25th January 2018, 06:25 AM
I am in the process of making a piece and thought I would pass this on, I don't know if anyone has done this before as I have not seen it.

This is the piece which I have sprayed the inside a copper colour and wanted to spray the outside with ebonizing spray to which I will be adding more colour to later.

The question is how do you do this without getting over spray on the copper inside. Well rather than spend time masking everything op I simply "used a balloon" by giving it a gentle squeeze at the top will force it down to cover the lower section, The photo is just to give an idea on how I did it. It only needs to be blown up to push against the sides

Sorry if this has been done before but as I said not that I have seen or even read about it.

The other good thing is that many paints will just rub off. I should have pointed out that some paints may attack the balloon so check first

Simplicity
25th January 2018, 08:25 AM
That is fantastic idea
Simple and would save a done if fiddle masking up.

Cheers Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Z
25th January 2018, 08:46 AM
Where there's a will there's a way.

Peter

Dalboy
25th January 2018, 09:03 AM
That is fantastic idea
Simple and would save a done if fiddle masking up.

Cheers Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found that light coats deflate and move the balloon to prevent a build up at the edges worked best.

crowie
25th January 2018, 09:16 AM
Increasing the skills with a master...well done Derek, cheers, Peter

brendan stemp
28th January 2018, 10:05 AM
Great idea. Thanks for sharing. BS

Dalboy
28th January 2018, 10:04 PM
Thank you guys for the replies. I tend to have two or three balloons on the go at the same time as the last thing you would want to do is put a balloon back in that may have some paint that is not fully dry

Keith_1
29th January 2018, 08:45 PM
Clever :2tsup: