PDA

View Full Version : Mach3 Software

Howard Combes
26th January 2018, 04:53 PM
I have recently imported a Legacy Maverick CNC machine. The Mach3 Professional is calibrated in imperial measurements, can anybody tell me how to convert it the metric ?

I have converted the CCam software to metric.

Howard Combes

Geoff Sims
26th January 2018, 08:56 PM
Under the Config Menu choose "Native Units" then "mm".?

Howard Combes
28th January 2018, 11:11 AM
I tried that and the machine went straight to the limits and started to cause damage. I have used the instructions provided by Legacy and I cannot get then Z Axis to recognise the metric units.

Geoff Sims
28th January 2018, 02:56 PM
I tried that and the machine went straight to the limits and started to cause damage. I have used the instructions provided by Legacy and I cannot get then Z Axis to recognise the metric units.

You say you've changed your CAM program to metric, but what post processor are you using? I don't know if this would make a difference, but maybe.

I'm no expert, just throwing ideas out there since no one else has responded.

Cheers

Ch4iS
28th January 2018, 03:22 PM
I've never done the change before but I think you also need to re-calibrate the motor steps/velocity/acceleration if they were previously set for imperial units, its all under the Motor Tuning in Config.

If you list what pitch the ballscrews are, steps per revolution steppers and if there is any increase, reduction, or if direct coupling to the screws I can suggest a safe starting point for those values.

{edit}
Or using the original values, divide the steps per unit 25.4 to get the mm equivalent, for the velocity and acceleration just start with something very slow like 1000 & 500 (or just times the original values by 25.4 to get the metric equivalent.)

Lappa
28th January 2018, 04:24 PM
Explanation here re changing units AND the need to motor tune after changing native units
https://youtu.be/B665YN9Jyn0