PDA

View Full Version : Knife drawer Till

Fuzzie
29th January 2018, 11:55 AM
Not sure where to start this thread. The joinery section is for (formerly) Big Stuff, then there's various toys, boxes and etc sub forums, but no simple "Small Stuff' section. :cool:

Anyway I did a quickie a few weeks ago to fulfill a promise to the Fuzzette to organize the knife drawer in the kitchen. Unexpectedly it has actually worked quite a lot better than anticipated so I thought I'd post a pic for anybody who is interested.

I couldn't find much in the way of inspiration from existing knife blocks and commercial drawer inserts. I had an offcut of Maple Silkwood that was about the right length to bury the blades and about 3/4 the width needed but was quite thick. I split the block then cut some grooves on the table saw giving me two blocks with grooves in them. I cut one down to fill the width in the drawer space and planed chamfers along each groove. I then found that space was needed for some knives to fit the front finger guard so I cut a slightly sloping back notch in the lead edge of the block. I then modified the leftover offcut by taking off a couple of slots and it was just the right height to support the handles and keep the blades in position.

All in all a couple of hours work and a happy Fuzzette!

mattocks
29th January 2018, 11:37 PM
nice work. like it a lot

DaveVman
30th January 2018, 12:03 AM
Thanks for this. Do you have more work in progress pictures?
I'm thinking of doing something about the kitchen drawers late this year once I've got some other projects out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

artme
30th January 2018, 08:11 AM
Wot!! You mean I may now have to carefully place knives instead of tossing them from half a metre away!!!:D:D:D

orraloon
30th January 2018, 09:15 AM
Tidy, neat and safe. Pleased her indoors too so about as good a woodworking outcome as you can get.:2tsup:
Regards
John

Fuzzie
30th January 2018, 12:46 PM
Sorry Dave, no WIP pics. I pretty much just eyeballed it. I can take some measurements if you like.

Tung tied
30th January 2018, 01:54 PM
Nice and simple and probably minimal chance of accidentally cutting yourself when reaching into the drawer in the dark... don't ask - it was stupid.

Cheers

Bryan

DaveVman
31st January 2018, 11:59 PM
Sorry Dave, no WIP pics. I pretty much just eyeballed it. I can take some measurements if you like.Thanks for the offer but even if I copy someone's idea I always do it to my own measurements anyway. I was more just thinking about the process. I have a tendency to over think it. Especially mid summer it's too damn hot to hang out in the shed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk