PDA

View Full Version : Robinia and Olive bowls

turnerted
30th January 2018, 01:26 PM
G'day
Here are robinia and olive bowls which I have turned recently . Olive is on the left.
Ted

tony_A
30th January 2018, 02:12 PM
Two nice bowl's you have there but I particularly like the second one. I like the effect from knots. cracks and other "defects" , it adds character to the finished piece.
What finish did you use.

Tony

smiife
30th January 2018, 07:34 PM
Very nice ted , what finish have used , ? The olive looks darker
than i would imagine , not that i have ever turned any ! :doh:
Also where did you get the olive from ..?

turnerted
30th January 2018, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the comments.
The finish is DO
This tree was growing in the front yard of the house next door . For some strange reason they decided to cut it down when the house was put up for sale .We estimated that it was about 70 years old . The base of the tree was about 700mm diameter and very burl like with lots of bark inclusions and cracks that I had to work around , but I didn't complain .
Ted

Nubsnstubs
31st January 2018, 01:40 AM
Ted, does the Robina tree look anything like an Olive tree? Had you not described the species of each bowl and seen both together, I would say they were both Olive. I have a lot of Olive stashed, so maybe I should start turning some........ Jerry (in Tucson) USA

turnerted
31st January 2018, 04:57 PM
Jerry
The robinia tree looks nothing like an olive tree .Google will show you plenty of pictures . The reason for posting was just to show the similarity between the two timbers .
Ted

Christos
1st February 2018, 07:48 AM
I have always loved the grain patten of the olive tree. I was not aware that another tree species could be so similar to the olive grain patten.

Thank you for sharing this.

powderpost
1st February 2018, 09:26 PM
Another excellent job Ted, I like plain, without lots of detail, the timber is good enough. Nice finish too.

Jim

brainstrust
3rd February 2018, 04:18 PM
four thumbs about for them :2tsup::2tsup: it is all about the wood :U