PDA

View Full Version : 10 seater dining table

thelumberjack93
31st January 2018, 12:13 AM
Hi guys,

Quickie here - Making a 10 seater at the moment with the legs being rosewood and the frame and top being western red cedar.
Now as I glued the other day (2 slabs and 2 planks making it full length) and I've rushed the gluing process by a few hours and now both slabs have separated from the planks by around 5mm. Now my questions is.

What would you use to fill in these gaps?

- Jack

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

ian
31st January 2018, 03:40 AM
Hi Jack
I don't get your reference to "slabs" and "planks" being glued together.
I'm thinking that "planks" are consistent in width and thickness, while slabs are not.
Can you post a photo or two?
initially I'm thinking you will have to cut the joints apart and start again.

BTW, Western red cedar is a very soft choice for a table top

rustynail
31st January 2018, 08:54 AM
A slab and plank table? That sounds a bit different. Some pictures or a bit more of a description may be helpful.
For what its worth though - I wouldnt be undertaking a heavy table build in this weather. Blood stuff goes everywhere. Be a lovely autumn job.

orraloon
31st January 2018, 10:19 AM
As others have said pics would help. In general when glue joints come apart the best fix will be to saw down the glueline rejoint and then glue up again. I also agree with rustynail that this may be done better in a few months time when the weather is kinder. Wood movement is at its max just now due to heat and big changes in humidity.
Regards
John