PDA

View Full Version : Access door for under the house

Tiger
29th September 2005, 09:36 AM
Dear all,

I am now ready to build an access door for the space under my house. I have looked for plans but can't find any, does anyone know of where I can get some. I could build a simple thing, but I want to do the job properly and make it look like some planning went into it. Any replies welcome.

nt900
29th September 2005, 09:45 AM
What sort of space are you looking to get to? Small, large, standing height, crawl space? And for what purposes?

I have a section of the veranda that lifts up to get under the house, great for storing lots of garden things, implement, old pots, etc. I also store lots of timber under the house on racks. Use the same access door to get it in and out.

Tiger
29th September 2005, 10:09 AM
It's fairly small, need to get into check things time to time, also some storage possible. Need a proper door to keep out animals, kids etc.

Trav
29th September 2005, 10:09 AM
I built one that looks just like a gate. It has about 6 vertical bits, two horizontals keeping them in place and a diagonal for strength. Works a treat.

You can also buy gate 'kits' from bunnings. They would also work, but will undoubtedly be more expensive.

Trav

Auspiciousdna
29th September 2005, 11:36 AM
Try this one!<O:p</O:p

ThePope
29th September 2005, 03:56 PM
leaving a gap 20-30mm between your boards is also a good idea, improves subfloor ventilation.

Tiger
1st October 2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks, guys. I especially liked the plan you sent me Aupiciousdna. May I be so bold as to ask you where it came from as I couldn't find much when I did my google search?

scooter
3rd October 2005, 10:39 PM
Tiger, McIntyre Industries (hope I got that right) in Melb make steel subfloor access doors fitted to steel frames, Bunnings sell them, 2 sizes, larger is about 700 x 600 I think.

HTH...........cheers.............Sean

Arron
4th October 2005, 01:04 AM
I'd agree with thePope, in fact I'd go even further and suggest a metal grate if possible - as the more ventilation you can get under your house the drier it is - and the less likely you are to suffer from termites, mould, dry rot etc.

Arron