PDA

View Full Version : Rescued - need revival

Fumbler
3rd February 2018, 06:09 AM
I reclaimed the below from the kerbside and thought they looked interesting enough to refurbish (as the wife had me keep a look out for a chair), luckily I got 2, a red one and a green one, both in a state. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo before I started unceremoniously taking the covers off to use as templates. I thought they were professionally made until I started taking them apart. unless that's how 80s furniture was made. so I believe these were hand made as there are staples over staples over split wood, and an upholstered pad (made with MDF) used to cover the staples was crudely cut and he couldn't even follow his template lines when cutting as wadding and material hides a multitude of sins. Not to mention the rear feet, they don't match! I know that when there is a distance between 2 objects they (if sightly different) will look the same, but honestly, clamp em and shape together.

Needless to say we can rebuild them and upgrade, both fittings and the material, and instead of the side covers being material covered panels, I am replacing them with timber, should look quite good when finished.

here are some pics mid strip down + drawing

Xanthorrhoeas
3rd February 2018, 04:30 PM
That will keep you busy for a while! Good luck with it.

Fumbler
5th February 2018, 09:03 AM
That will keep you busy for a while! Good luck with it.

Luckily, the pieces only need sewing in a few places, one straight stitch across the top of the back and some overlocking. And considering there's not much repair work to do, there won't be many progressive pics.