PDA

View Full Version : Slowly upgrading the workshop

ShoshinJoe
4th February 2018, 05:37 PM
I've finally made a new work bench out of recycled timber. This is a massive upgrade compared to my sawhorses and the little bench top I made previously.

Planing on a bench like this is a dream. Any of you that saw how I was doing it on my last cutting board can have a good chuckle.

Cheershttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180204/4fb00bf5d046a576f632b6d292ce4b4c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180204/427f5dd17dabb8a3c8131194dc9f05f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

John Saxton
4th February 2018, 11:20 PM
Nice & solid for your needs,the cat has definately given it the thumbs us as we have here:2tsup:

I built a couple of saw horses out of solid Jarrah ,really heavy great for any outdoor work I do but does not compare to a good bench when all is said in done .

artme
5th February 2018, 07:13 AM
Might I suggest som diagonal bracing to prevent racking?

ShoshinJoe
5th February 2018, 09:52 AM
Might I suggest som diagonal bracing to prevent racking?Yep you certainly can. There is some at the back that can't be seen.but I'm think I might need to add another brace from the bottom shelf to the legs too

orraloon
5th February 2018, 02:00 PM
It needs some bench dogs but that may upset the cat:D
On the practical side however if you find some ply, mdf or chipboard and box in the back and ends that will stiffen the thing up nicely and also give you a storage compartment.
Regards
John

ShoshinJoe
5th February 2018, 02:05 PM
It needs some bench dogs but that may upset the cat:D
On the practical side however if you find some ply, mdf or chipboard and box in the back and ends that will stiffen the thing up nicely and also give you a storage compartment.
Regards
JohnNot a bad idea boxing it in.

I would love bench dogs, that will be the next addition.

Not enough!!
5th February 2018, 06:58 PM
That pussy looks like a "hamburger" pussy, :D has it got a small head or just a big belly? very well fed I'd say.

ShoshinJoe
5th February 2018, 07:07 PM
That pussy looks like a "hamburger" pussy, :D has it got a small head or just a big belly? very well fed I'd say.Ahaha both actually

orraloon
6th February 2018, 10:26 AM
This clip shows how to do a basic bench dog. I did basically the same but with 19mm holes. My holdfasts need 19mm so no point having other sized holes. Most commercial stuff for benches is also 19mm. Cost just scrap wood and a coat hanger.
Regards
John

ShoshinJoe
6th February 2018, 11:39 AM
This clip shows how to do a basic bench dog. I did basically the same but with 19mm holes. My holdfasts need 19mm so no point having other sized holes. Most commercial stuff for benches is also 19mm. Cost just scrap wood and a coat hanger.
Regards
JohnWhere is the link?