PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with spinning wheel bobbins - Sunshine Coast QLD please :)

ElizaLeahy
6th February 2018, 05:37 PM
It has been so long since I have done any woodwork I don't suppose anyone here remembers me!

I stopped turning when my mum died and we moved to the Sunshine Coast - sold my lathe and tools (silly me!)

Now I've taken up spinning wool instead of timber.

I bought a beautiful old wheel made by a master craftsman. It has a lovely history behind it, but one of the not so nice things is all the spare bobbins were stolen during a garage sale.

I have the one bobbin that was on the wheel at the time. I know of people interstate who would make a few new bobbins, but I'm not real keen on sending my one and only bobbin away in the post. I'm hoping there would be someone on the Sunshine Coast (I'm at Golden Beach) who would be interested in a slightly out of the ordinary challenge.

Of course I'm more then happy to pay or swap or beer or whatever. ;)

I'll put up a photo of the pretty wheel for you to drool over - the timberwork is wonderful!

artful bodger
6th February 2018, 06:17 PM
Hello there.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to post a close up picture of a bobbin (the bobbin) you have that you would like replicated.

ElizaLeahy
7th February 2018, 07:32 AM
Sure.

chuck1
7th February 2018, 05:08 PM
I have turned a few for local spinners, if you wanted to send drawings with measurements. E.g the diameter of hole for shaft, diameter of disc's on ends and diameter of bobbins shaft.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th February 2018, 05:51 PM
That looks very much like an old bobbin as used for the Rappard Wee Peggy's, etc. Ashford bought out Rappard way back when and changed the design a bit but the bobbins should still fit. Plus, Ashford is still a going concern and carry spares for many models.

It may be worth your while to find a nearby spinning group and take your wheel in... most spinner's would be quite happy to let you test fit a few of the bobbins they have to hand just to see if your maker based his bobbins on a standardised, readily available size.

Worth a try at least. At best you can easily buy more bobbins. Middling case, a bobbin that fits but with a slightly different ratio. At worst you still have us and, possibly, a few more connections to other spinners.. :D

Pat
7th February 2018, 05:54 PM
At worst you still have us and, possibly, a few more connections to other spinners.. :D

Someone with a passion for spinning wool, very close to you . . .

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th February 2018, 06:43 PM
Someone with a passion for spinning wool, very close to you . . .

:D

Woodworkers and spinner/weavers. It's surprising how many couples I know are like that...

Enfield Guy
7th February 2018, 11:18 PM
I certainly remember you Eliza, the etch you gave me has taken pride of place in my new workshop. It looks to me like something you could turn yourself. I too have moved. From Wavell Heights to Clontarf. If you wanted to turn your own you would be welcome to come and use my gear to do so.

Skews advice makes good sense as well.

Cheers
Bevan

robyn2839
12th February 2019, 05:32 PM
I certainly remember you , Eliza would more than love to make some for you,hows your king Charles cavalier going ?, and do you still see Zoey (I think her name was) how are you enjoying the sunny coast,good to hear your still active in craft, think of you everytime I look at my butterfly scratch painting, glad to hear your doing well and your artwork is beautiful,well done.................................Bob