PDA

View Full Version : What type of weatherboards are these

Arron
29th September 2005, 02:57 PM
Hi, can anyone give me the correct name for this type of weatherboard. They are made from masonite - about 200mm high. I need to replace some.

thanks
Arron

bennylaird
29th September 2005, 03:00 PM
Thats easy, they are white ones.

Sorry... Probably Hardie-Plank I'd guess

bennylaird
29th September 2005, 03:03 PM
http://www.lookhome.com.au/Products/Weatherboards/HardiPlankSmoothCladding/

This sort of thing?

ThePope
29th September 2005, 03:14 PM
looks like the old Weathertex weatherboard, still available too...
http://www.weathertex.com.au/product.aspx?ProdType=1

Gumby
29th September 2005, 03:19 PM
I think His Eminence is correct. I doubt they are masonite, that wouldn't last 5 minutes without protection. Weathertex etc lasts years even if not painted.

Auspiciousdna
29th September 2005, 03:34 PM
If they are made from a form of masonite which I have used years ago, you may be out of lucky, many have been discontinued if not all.

ThePope
29th September 2005, 03:48 PM
they are masonite, if memory serves, possibly tempered masonite.
used them many times in the past.

Gumby
29th September 2005, 04:00 PM
I'm happy to be corrected your holiness. I just thought masonite wasn't weatherproof. I defer to your ethereal knowledge :D :D ;)

Craig Pywell
29th September 2005, 04:07 PM
http://www.weathertex.com.au/

I think you will find these are weathertex. Have a look at the link above.

Good luck!!!!

Craig

silentC
29th September 2005, 04:15 PM
Weathertex IS masonite.... I reckon they's Weathertex... If they're brown, that's what they are. Yup...

ThePope
29th September 2005, 04:41 PM
I'm happy to be corrected your holiness. I just thought masonite wasn't weatherproof. I defer to your ethereal knowledge :D :D ;)

All I do is cut and nail the buggers on, I leave the weatherproofing up to god :)

Arron
29th September 2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys. They are definitely some type of masonite - there is a hole in one so I can see it. If weathertex is masonite, then weathertex they are.

Incidently, they are on the exterior of our house but under the shelter of a patio, so not really in the weather. Does look a pretty cheap and crummy way to build, though.

Arron

silentC
29th September 2005, 05:12 PM
Weathertex is, as the name implies, weather proof. Masonite is a tradename for hardboard, which is what Weathertex is. The yanks still call it hardboard but we call it masonite here. However, when people think of masonite, they think of the thin slightly crumbly stuff that they often put under carpet and lino on timber floors and the backs of cupboards etc.

It's actually a very good product and I would have considered using it on my place if not for the fire regs here requiring non-flamable cladding.

Here's some trivia for you: it's called masonite because the fibres it is made from are produced in barrels called Mason guns. The woodchips are blasted with steam which breaks the chips into fibres and then these fibres are compressed into the sheet you see.

ozwinner
29th September 2005, 07:27 PM
All I do is cut and nail the buggers on, I leave the weatherproofing up to god :)

Pontius Pilot???

Sorry I have just watched Life Of Brian again.

Al :rolleyes:

scooter
3rd October 2005, 10:53 PM
Silent, I think it's actually named after the US inventor, William Mason. Those "Mason guns) probably are too.

My father in law calls it Burnie Board, which was a locally made version.

Cheers.............Sean, hopefully not too (hard)boaring :)

silentC
4th October 2005, 08:45 AM
I'd say it's a fair bet that they are both named after the same bloke. The web reference I found said that it was "masonite" after the Mason guns but never believe everything you read, eh?? ;) According to Wikipedia it is called "the Mason Method", so there you go. I should have gone there first.