PDA

View Full Version : Dinamix Lathe - any info?

04ive
7th February 2018, 04:08 PM
Hi all,

I bought an old Dinamix Lathe on a whim about 15 min ago.
trying to do some research on them on the internet and am coming up with nothing.

Does anyone have any info or experience with these machines?
I'll attach the only image I have....very blurry.

Cheers Pete

maņana
7th February 2018, 04:59 PM
Pete, your lathe is one of many similar 37 inch lathes which came out under various brand names. If you PM me with your email address, I will send you a Clarke 38 page Manual.
Cheers
Mick

Paul39
8th February 2018, 03:45 AM
Hi all,

I bought an old Dinamix Lathe on a whim about 15 min ago.
trying to do some research on them on the internet and am coming up with nothing.

Does anyone have any info or experience with these machines?
I'll attach the only image I have....very blurry.

Cheers Pete

Also sold in the US as a Sears Craftsman: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/9e/d8/7f/9ed87f2fb17c86e44f6a2cfe0981a665.jpg

I have one that I bought in a weak moment, but have not used it. The drawback with all square tube, round tube, round rod, bent sheet metal bed lathes, is the bed flexes. When roughing out an out of balance blank the tool rest and tail stock will be vibrating in various directions. If this is what you can afford, do the best you can with it. It will get you started. Do not spend much money on it that can't be used on a better lathe.

I have a German Hegner with two 50mm square tubes as a bed that shakes all over until the turning is in balance. This from a new price $2000 plus lathe. This was my first "good" lathe for which I paid $500, with Oneway chuck, 8 inch 1725 RPM grinder, Wolverine jigs, Oneway tail center set, and huge heavy bench.

If the bug bites and you look for a better lathe, decide if you do spindles, or bowls, or both. Look for a cast iron bed lathe. There are good welded up steel bed lathes, but the prices make me weak kneed. Except for a chuck and my first bowl gouge I have always bought used and needing some care and de rusting. I have more time than $$, and am good at fixing things.